What is holding these copper pipes together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I recently inherited a house that was built in 1986. While snooping around I found this section of pipe that at first glance looks like someone forgot to solder. Looking closer, each joint is covered with a clear hard substance which I'm assuming is some kind of epoxy. Luckily, this technique was only used in a small section of piping that services the laundry. There is no evidence of any kind of leaking...if its not original to the house it's at least 20 years old. Does anyone know what this substance is and should it be replaced?

IMG_1095.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Smith333

Reaction score
Thanks. Was this type of product around 20 or 30 years ago? Does it typically pass building inspections?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. Was this type of product around 20 or 30 years ago? Does it typically pass building inspections?

I've heard of product like this cold weld gluing copper. never seen it , could be a number of products out there. you'll need a little research. Sounds like B.S. junk though and my gut says get rid of it. BTW the steel hangar on the copper is not a good thing either the tubing must be protected it can erode the tubing.
This could be major work but I wouldn't let it go with out investigation.

Smith333

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any information about a cold welding product that existed 20-30 years ago so I'm going to replace all of it to be safe. Luckily it's easily accessible.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any information about a cold welding product that existed 20-30 years ago so I'm going to replace all of it to be safe. Luckily it's easily accessible.
great but how do you know that is all accessible certainly there are some joints behind drywall?
perhaps just a small repair . yea cut it out would be my recommendation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks