What is causing this knocking sound when I turn ON my hot water tap?

Users who are viewing this thread

musicgold

Reaction score
Hello,

The video below shows the problem I am facing since I changed the mixing valve of my hot water tank. This problem occurs in the hot water tap of one of the 2 sinks in a second-floor bathroom. The problem is not occuring in any other tap of the house. The tap has two handles - hot and cold.

Symptoms: When the hot water tap is turned on for the first time, hot water flows normally. However, when the tap is turned off, and turn on again, water flows for a moment and stops with a banging sound. The flow however doesn't stop completely and a small amount of water keeps flowing.

Dignosis so far: First I thought there was an issue with the tap, so I tested the problem at the supply line level, and as shown in the video the problem remains. I also replaced the valve before the supply line, it did not help either.

video link: hot water issue

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you may have flood-stop hoses. These are designed to turn off it they (think) they've detected a leak. If that's what you have, change them out for 'normal' ones, and that problem will go away.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Either has to be in the faucet or the supply pipe before the shut off valve. First water flow whatever is stopping the flow must have moved away from the stop till the water gets shut off then turning it right back on closes the stop on the second flow. Waiting few minutes faucet flows till shut off then back on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you may have flood-stop hoses. These are designed to turn off it they (think) they've detected a leak. If that's what you have, change them out for 'normal' ones, and that problem will go away.

I agree, it's the supply lines you're using. Get standard supply lines and problem solved.

redwood_brokenconnector.jpg

It's this part that is the problem.

Last edited:

musicgold

Reaction score

attachment.php

I tried three different supply lines but the problem remains. The attached picture shows the lines I used to test the issue. All of them are from other basins in the house.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_1518225.jpg
    IMG_20210518_1518225.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 129
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks