What is a barrel vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Emerson

Reaction score
Location: King County, Washington. Had the inspector suggest using a barrel vent, however I haven't--as of yet--found out what this is. The only thing I can guess is having a vent come right off the toilet fitting. But basically, no clue as to how to fix the issue.

Thanks!

Chris Emerson

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
UGH.. sounds like when an inspector suggested I use a Telltale tee... good luck finding out what that means.. Its not in any code book I have dating back to 2006.. Google strikes out..

But if i were to venture a guess. I would think that its a san tee installed under the flange vertically with a 2" vent that comes off horizontally.

Then I find the only reference that fits my idea of a barrel vent

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well Chris no Idea here what your issue is . ?What a barrel vent is I dont know And why your inspector recomended it You might share why he suggests it . could be he is talking barrel trap ? another name for a drum trap perhaps

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm 99% certain its a vent that takes off horizontally from the vertical riser to the closet flange
Which would be prohibited by the IPC and would only be allowed by the UPC if "structural conditions preclude" keeping the vent vertical. The latter being something I find hard to imagine could be true. I guess you could have a WC in the middle of a 10' x 10' room that has no other fixtures in it . . .

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC if "structural conditions preclude"
Or if the inspector suggests it. Almost every Seattle/King Co inspector are hired from the plumbers union. They've all been plumbers, so they understand the limitations in the field and may offer suggestions that seem unorthodox.

I still can't find any real reference to a Barrel Vent that makes any sense. But I do remember venting toilets off the vertical riser in the 80s.
Below is my imagining of a Barrel Vent.

barrel vent.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
vented that way several times using a wye and 45 . in an upright wye fasion unlike the illustration from tuttles I might have done it like tuttles shows in a pinch . never heard the barrel vent term
but with vent on a 45 its good practice. Ive done gangs of w/c that way on ground work trench gotta be pretty deep combis on back then the wye on top the combi .
Kinda funny Tuttles brings up the inspectors coming from union. Well back befor I got in plumbing (mid 80) things have changed basicaly all the plumbers came from union. I was non union and some of those inspectors really reamed us but now I look back at it and coming up a forced me to learn my codes. after 10 or 15 years I joined union had to take some classes for diferant aspects of trade. and wouldnt you know it 2 inspectors that were hard asses were teaching classes I took.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In our area, we had this One inspector who was very very by the code with no variation. He was in on the IAPMO deal helping write code. I always hated getting inspections in his area.. until I realized the same as you Jeff.. it just made me a better plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks