what did low-flow mean in 1987?

Users who are viewing this thread

ronke

Reaction score
I have two Koehler Rialtos (K-3402 7) installed in my old house. They are dated 11/25/87 and were probably installed early in 1988. I know at the time they were considered low-flow because that was mandated back then but I am having a hard time proving this to the local water Nazis who have decided I now have to rip them out and install 1.6 toilets. I would really love to since I adore the 1.6 Toto I got because of this forum, but I simply don't have the money. Is there any way of getting info on what the flow per flush was on the 1987 "low-flow" Rialtos? Thanks.

ronke

Reaction score
thanks, Terry!

I knew you'd knew. Now city insists on 1.6 so I'm probably looking at two more Totos unless a better option has come along since I installed the last one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The only better option might be a Toto thet flushes with 1.28 Gallons per flush.:D

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Are you doing a remodel? Usually you don't have to upgrade to current standards unless you are doing work effecting the fixtures.

I would guess that you would save $10+ a month on water with a newer toilet however, hope that helps ease the transition.

ronke

Reaction score
thanks to all

Apparently they slapped this fee on the water bill that you can only get removed if you are inspected and they see you only have 1.6 (or 1.28 toilets). But it's only $4/month so it will take a lot of flushes to make up the difference in water savings. It's good to know though that Totos are still the first choice. We have been very happy with ours and if we go to the 1.28 (the city is currently offering a rebate on those), then I trust Toto to still make them work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rialto

You also have to consider that YOUR Rialtos are "non overflow" models, so it they get plugged up you do not have to worry about them flooding the bathroom.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
And with the toilets only being 1.28 gallons now you don't have to worry about 4 gallons of water overflowing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

They will if some one tries to flush them several times trying to get it to unplug, or the tank has a problem and is leaking water into the toilet.

Reaction score
Apparently they slapped this fee on the water bill that you can only get removed if you are inspected and they see you only have 1.6 (or 1.28 toilets). But it's only $4/month so it will take a lot of flushes to make up the difference in water savings. It's good to know though that Totos are still the first choice. We have been very happy with ours and if we go to the 1.28 (the city is currently offering a rebate on those), then I trust Toto to still make them work.

How much is the rebate? You are in the enviable position of having a toilet replacement payout in a reasonable period of time. You should be able to get a 1.28 gpf CEFIONTECT EcoDrake for something like $300. I've got three and they work well.

If you do the HET's you will be one step ahead of the game if they later instituted a $4/charge for toilets over 1.28 gpf.

From that you can deduct the following:
1. Rebate (You didn't say how much I'll guess $50)
2. Income tax deduction if you donate the old toilets to a Habitat ReStore or other similar. My local store sells toilets for $35/ea so I am going to claim that for the donation. Let's say this is worth 20% on your tax refund, it would work out to $7/toilet.
3. That $4/month penalty. ($48/year)
4. Reduced water charges (e.g. 8 flushes per day/toilet, $2/ccf water = 8 * (3.5 - 1.3) * 365 = 6,400 gal/yr toilet, about $17/yr per toilet)
5. Reduced sewer charges roughly the same calc as above if you have a volume charge for the sewer. Ours is adjusted annually based on winter consumption.

All told your economics could be something like:

$600 for toilets - $100 rebate - $14 donation credit = $486

$48/year removed penalty - $34/year water - $34/year sewer = $116/yr reduced utilities.

Payback would be 486/116/yr = 4.2 years. That's nearly 24% annual simple interest. Wish I could get that out of my 401k.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks