What Could You Check or Look For To Determine a Dry-Well Pumping Cycle Exists

Users who are viewing this thread

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
:confused:

Before spending the money to install a PumpSaver is there any way to tell if your well is running down so low your pump is running in a dry-well cycle?

Would a water pressure gauge having a memory needle that records the highest psi reached be of any help to determine your submersible pump has sucked the well dry and continued to run or experiences dry-well? If so where is the best place to attach the gauge in the system.

Roughly how many dry-well pump cycles can a 5HP; 25GPM Jacuzzi submersible pump; 230V single phase; take or withstand before it would start to fail?

Thank You For Your Input!!

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Disconnect the pipes before the tank and let the pump run water straight out on the ground.
As the pump is running water, if the flow stops and starts again, that means the well is running out of water.

You could use a amp meter, but watching the flow, you will know with out any doubts, when the water stops.

With a big pump like that, you don't get many dry runs before it starts to tear up and fail.

Travis

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A pumptek on a 1,000$ + Jaq pump is the cheapest extended warranty you will ever buy. Absurd not to use it even before any issues arose. Always use low pressure cut out switches at the very least. But you appear to be in the water well business so you should already know all that.

If you ran it fully dry for more than a minute or two, I would consider the pump suspect and do flow/ amp testing at the least. And I would buy a back-up and keep it in the pumphouse.

The low pressure cut out switches are only a few bucks more than the basic junque switch. Saved my pumps many times over. Just adding that switch would be easier than doing an open pipe flow watch.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks