what color is softener resin

Users who are viewing this thread

Shopco

Reaction score
Before I connected my water softener I decided to empty it out. It was shipped to me and I wanted to make sure the distribution tube was properly seated as well as to determine whether or not there was any gravel in it. To my surprise the media was black (they are round beads - not GAC). I thought ion exchange resin was orange. I bought this unit on-line some time ago (and never hooked it up) when price was a bigger concern than it is now (it was the cheapest I could find). I guess my concern is that it came with poor quality resin. While I do not particularly want to buy another 1.5 cf of resin I would much rather do it now than mess with it later.

SHR

Reaction score
Shopko, Smooky gave you a succinct, accurate and thorough answer to your question. You said: "I thought ion exchange resin was orange." Quite a difference.

Smooky thank you for an excellent answer to ungrateful OP's question.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Resin can be almost any color, but, light to dark orange and black are the most common. Black is supposed to indicate that the resin went through a special manufacturing process that is supposed to make it better, but I don't doubt that some resin manufacturers artificially make theirs black.

Regardless, assuming you have 8% or 10% ( many companies advertise 8%, but are actually shipping 6-7.75%, buyer beware, know who you are buying from...) the resin should do just fine. if your system loses flow rate, you will know the resin did not last to well. It all depends on the chlorine level, and some other factors, but chlorine is the biggest factor.

Last edited:

Shopco

Reaction score
Shopko, Smooky gave you a succinct, accurate and thorough answer to your question. You said: "I thought ion exchange resin was orange." Quite a difference.

Smooky completely failed to answer the thrust of the post but instead reiterated the obvious. You guys crack me up - nothing to say but say it anyway. Once again, thank you Dittohead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks