what causes pipes to do this????????

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joints

Usually bad solder joints. Not bad enough to leak, but bad enough to seep water and when it evaporates it leaves the minerals behind. But it could be excessive flux on the joint, although flux is usually "burned" off during the process of soldering the joint.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
pipes

It started out as sloppy soldering.
The pipes were never wiped at that time of soldering.
Sweaty pipes over several years will look like that.
And some of those spots will develop pin holes.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
detroithomeinspector said:
i agree that some of those spots will develop holes...but why does that happen??

See HJ's and plumber1's comments above -- flux wasn't properly wiped off at time joints were made and it can be corrosive over time (as I understand it).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The spots in line on the underside of the tubing is from water droplets caused by humidity and 'sweating' pipes. I've never seen them lead to leaking. But flux that is acid based, and left on the copper, eats holes in the tubing and provides an excellent place for bacteria to live; which have an acidic waste, and both cause pinholes in copper tubing. Non water soluble flux happens to be the second most common cause of pinholes in copper tubing. The first or most common cause is not reaming the end of tubing that has been cut off with tubing cutters which allows for erosion corrosion caused pinholes.

The white/gray residue is caused by water from 'sweating' corroding the solder; especially lead based solder.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks