What can you tell me about my well pit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remember hearing about "jet subs" back in the day but I know we used a 3" submersible in a well in the mid to late 90's. I remember that it ran at like 10,600 rpms and took 3 seconds to ramp up. I don't know if this was the same thing or not.

Craig, are you sure about that 18 year old SQ? The oldest catalog I have with an SQ or SQE is from 2000, which would be 14 years. The 1998 catalog I have still has the “Jet-Sub”, which was the predecessor of the SQ or SQE if you remember that nightmare. I think I remember the first SQ type pumps came out in 1999, which would only be 15 years, if I am adding right.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I think valveman mentioned it already, but for a little more money, you can get a Baker Monitor 4" pitless unit, with a compression connection, and still use any 4" pump you want, and not have to get into pit to weld it on.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
After I got back to my shop I looked at that old Grundfos, it is indeed a jet sub. I stand corrected.

However, it does prove that pumps will run at 10,000 rpm and live a long ass time!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
After I got back to my shop I looked at that old Grundfos, it is indeed a jet sub. I stand corrected.

However, it does prove that pumps will run at 10,000 rpm and live a long ass time!

I think what it proves is that “miracles never cease”, or “even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while”. I’ll bet that is the longest lasting Jet Sub in the world. None of the ones I installed lasted a year, and some only a few days.

I guess it proves in perfect applications, cold water, lightly used, no sediment, no electrical problems, sometimes even the worst designed pump in existence can last longer than expected. But I am sure it is the exception, not the rule.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It was just their first attempt to make a little Drimel tool style, high speed, lightweight, cheaply constructed pump that could produce as much as a standard constructed pump. Now they are in generation 7 of the SQE, trying to solve some of the inherent problems. If you consider the Jet Sub, that would make it generation 8.

While there is a lot that can be done within bounds of the laws of physics, being in generation 7 or 8 proves that Mother Nature doesn’t like it when you try to pull the wool over her eyes.

Years ago a guy from Grundfos told me they lose 6 million dollars a year on the SQE. It is in their charter to spend that much on R & D each year, and the SQE is the perfect experimental platform. He said the SQE is to prove that Grundfos is the smartest pump company in the world. That way when you need a standard construction 5 HP or 50 HP pump, which is the mainstay of their business, you will remember Grundfos.

I personally think the idea has backfired. Because of the lack of dependability of the SQE and false advertising about VFD’s saving energy, many people have gotten a bad taste in their mouths about Grundfos. Grundfos was once front and center at any open house I went to. Now they are regulated to the back of the room along with Cycle Stop Valves and everyone else from “Misfit Island”.

There is a fine line for marketing. You don’t want to have a product that is TOO good like the Cycle Stop Valve or it is considered disruptive to sales. But you also do not want to have a product that gives too many problems or you also get moved to the back of the room.

Reach4

Reaction score
A B10x is about $100, while a Boshart is like $48 and the B10x isn't significantly any stronger. You would never know the difference except in your wallet.

Thanks. We are opting now for extending the 4 inch steel casing with another 4 inch steel casing welded on.
Going with a http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/02-PitlessUnits/SMCK-Steel/features.php
Merrill SMCK which costs a lot more, but it maintains the full 4 inch ID clearance while not requiring the custom adapter to convert to 5 inch casing. Thus it makes the job the cheaper way to maintain the 4 inch clearance. It will make sure that the pitless can be down the required 42 inches, which could have been in doubt (without dirt mounding) with the 5 inch casing and the B10x in the 5-inch portion. The poured concrete pit bottom is shallow enough to affect this.

On the down side, not all well workers know how to use that adapter, and not all caps will fit due to the hanger bar.

The pit demolishing is an Illinois state thing. :-( On the good side, the required permit surprisingly is $0.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That Merrill pitless looks like a REAL PIA to install, especially in a confined area like your pit.

Reach4

Reaction score
That Merrill pitless looks like a REAL PIA to install, especially in a confined area like your pit.
It would be more confined if the pit did not get the top removed and 2 walls removed. It will be harder overall. The casing will have to be smooth, since the big O-ring presses against the inside of the casing. I think the installation of the fixed part is just drilling a hole, spraying some anti-sieze, and tighten the clamp. http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/02-PitlessUnits/SMCK-Steel/installation.php Seating the movable part is done from up top, and takes a lot more care than dropping a trapezoid into its slot. The pit will be mostly demolished before the welding and putting on the pitless.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Operation went as planned. The pump looked good to me. The Franklin motor on the pump is S/N00J18 06-4331 which interprets to being built 2000 September 06; 18=Siloam Springs, AR; 4331 is the daily sequence number.
The pump is assembly is Sta-Rite Signature 2000 stainless steel 4" submersible pumps which measures 3.70 diameter at bottom of the motor. Attached is the label for the pump part. I could not find the date code info for that . I suspect that the pump was installed in 2002, and the September 2000 date code for the motor is compatible with that.

well_pump_a.jpg

http://www.sta-rite.com/ResidentialFAQ.aspx says
The date code will be marked as “date code”, “code”, or “MOD”. Also, all pumps have an info label on the pump that has the model number and date code on it. Date code is usually a combination of letters and numbers.

dnr.wi.gov/topic/wells/documents/pcb.pdf says
STA-RITE: Two wire units have a date code on the nameplate with the format MYY. The month is coded as a letter from “A” to “M” and the year as a number, e.g., February, 1977 = B77.

So date is October 2000 for the pump. I suspect that the pump was installed in 2002, and the September 2000 date code for the motor and October 2000 for the pump are compatible with that.

Anyway, the pit is gone. The old well seal was in terrible shape, and it was not right the day it went in IMO. The casing now extends above ground. The cap has a small vent screen on the underside. The pitless is nicely below the frost line.

Drop pipe is 1 inch schedule 80 PVC.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks