What can I do about my leaking sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
I came home today and my wife told me there was water under the sink and on the floor.
I looked and found some water on the mounting bracket (the thing you turn to attach the garbage disposal to the mounting ring), so I figured the water was coming from above, rather than from the garbage disposal or the dishwasher. (It is all about 14 years old)
There was some play in the screws that tighten the mounting ring, so I tightened them as much as I could without removing the garbage disposal.
I was able to tighten the mounting bracket about a bit. When I did that it pushed water out from somewhere.

I cleaned up the water and ran the faucet for 5 minutes and ran the garbage disposal for a while. It seems dry now.
Am I out of the woods, or is there more I should do?

If I have to pull it apart, should I just go ahead and replace the GD? If so, are they standard measurements, or should I get the same one? (photo attached, if you can identify it.
Last year I replaced the strainer on the other side of the double sink, but that was pretty easy; not sure this will be .

) GD.jpg

JerryR

Reaction score
It’s not likely a replacement will just fit unless it’s the same brand and model number.

There should be a label or plate with model number on the current disposal.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fill the sink, and let it sit. See if that leaks. If you had to replace your strainer on the other side, maybe the seal is bad on the mounting flange, too.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The GD flange has a bid of plumber's putty where it touches the sink - this putty could be leaking after 14 long years.
It would make sense to replace the GD now too with a quiet, strong and clean GD, don't you think?
You sound like you can do it, do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks