Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
20181108_162359.jpg
20181108_162410.jpg
20181108_142212.jpg
20181108_142241.jpg
IMG_20181108_162046_01.jpg
I started another thread earlier this week trying to find my low pressure issue in a home with a well that I just purchased last week. We determined there was nothing wrong with the well side and the low pressure was on the house side. Last night I had some time to try to back flush the main line, and I found some interesting stuff! But what is it? And how did it build up that much?

I put the line back together and still have low pressure, but it is definately better. I will back flush a few more times this weekend to hopefully get it all out.

In the pictures, the garden hose is how I back flushed from the spigot on the well tank to the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are the pieces hard and very brittle? Maybe a mix of calcium, magnesium and iron compounds. They may have deposited and then sloughed off. Do the pieces have a radius that would match a pipe in your system? Those deposits would not burn. They would dissolve in acid. Could it be that the pieces deposited into the pressure tank and then broke off? If you ever have to replace the pressure tank, maybe you could rip into the failed unit out of curiosity. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/lookie-at-this-little-beauty-i-took-out-today.75622/ has a photo off a cut-open water heater.

Sound like a filter of some sort after the pressure tank+switch would be a good idea. They have screen filters, such as wye strainers.

Flushing out your pressure tank periodically would be a good idea. I think that thing next to the union is a check valve. It would probably be best to remove that or take out its innards, although that is not related to this problem.

For those reading, https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/low-pressure-after-a-minute-of-use.78531/ was the thread where the problem was presented and the cure was suggested.

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
The build up almost seemed like they were egg shells and brittle like eggs shells. I suppose it could be from the pressure tank. The house was sitting vacant for close to 18 months before we moved in. I believe the realtor was there a couple times per month to show the house. Maybe the build up formed in the tank with no use, some one came in turned on a faucet every once in a while and flushed the deposits into the main line then left and the deposits formed again?? Yes, definitely looking to put a filter after the tank. Are there filters I can install outside? The well is uncovered and gets hit by the brutal FL sun for most of the day.

That water heater is crazy! I think the tag on mine said 2005, I will be installing a tank less soon. I'll try to cut open my water heater to see what's inside!

Reach4

Reaction score
Even in normal use, I wonder if you could get build up inside the diaphragm tank. While the diaphragm is flexing routinely, the bottom part is not flexing. People install softeners outside. It certainly seems to me that you could install a filter outside.

Protect your PVC from the sun.

That water heater is crazy! I think the tag on mine said 2005, I will be installing a tank less soon. I'll try to cut open my water heater to see what's inside!
I would not go tankless unless special situations apply, such as lack of space. If you think deposits in a tank unit is a problem, a tankless would be more problem. Yes, you must pump an acid solution through periodically to remove deposits. Some of these units invalidate the warranty if the hardness is over 7. They cost more to buy. More to go wrong.

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
My biggest reason for going tankless is lack of space in mud room. I was also planning to put the water softener and filter in there. But you mentioned people install water softeners outside. Would I be able to do that with this softener? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-33-000-Grain-Water-Softener/3824563

Maybe I can just build an outside shelter for the water softener and filter setup? Then how would I protect it from the unlikely case of freezing? Though it is Florida, we do still get a good week of 30 degree mornings.

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
I read the install guide on that water softener, it does not say it must be installed inside and does mention not installing in direct sunlight. Maybe I'll build a shelter around the well and make it large enough to house the softener

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh... seeing your outside well stuff, I had figured you were in the part of FL without freezing worries. Maybe you could put a lift-off housing over the well. That would make it accessible for well work, but provide some insulation. It would also protect from the sun. Maybe even just adapt a car cover.

Yes, lack of space is a valid reason for a tankless. Others would include that you are using $0.40 per KWH electricity or propane for water heating. If electric, note that the tankless WH draws a lot of KW. So upping your electrical could be needed.

Similarly, cabinet softeners can be nice for space. They are not usually as repairable as the softeners with separate brine tank, they are space savers. Often they are treated as FRUs.

I would put a cartridge filter before the softener. You should also get a water test telling you iron as well as hardness. Do you have a sulfur smell? Maybe a wye screener at the well and a cartridge at the house.

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
I installed tankless in my last house. Had to run two new 8 gauge wires and install two double pole 40 amp breakers. I had 150 amp service in that house so I was good. New house also has 150 amp service so I'll just need to run the 8 gauge wires and put in new breakers again.

Question on softeners. If I install this at the well then my outside water spigots will be softened water. I'm on an acre of land so I doubt I'll be watering the grass but if I need to water the garden I probably would not want to use those existing outside spigots because they're soft water correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
Question on softeners. If I install this at the well then my outside water spigots will be softened water. I'm on an acre of land so I doubt I'll be watering the grass but if I need to water the garden I probably would not want to use those existing outside spigots because they're soft water correct?
Correct. Don't use softened water for irrigation. You could have a softened spigot for washing the car.

Ryan Greene

Reaction score
I was able to back flush the main line again today and got a bunch more of that crap out but still have low flow. My next plan was to pour some vinegar or CLR down the line to try to dissolve whatever it is. But first I put some of those pieces in a cup with the vinegar to see if they'd dissolve. They didn't. Then I tried the CLR. Nothing. I looked closer at the pieces and started breaking them apart. They are bright white on the edges when broken and actually seem like plastic or maybe paint. Is there some piece of well or plumbing equipment that has a coating inside? Or maybe an old filter that broke up and clogged in the main line?

Reach4

Reaction score
But first I put some of those pieces in a cup with the vinegar to see if they'd dissolve.
I would try a longer time and/or stronger acid. This is more for analysis at this point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks