What brand 40 gallon gas water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Slater

Reaction score
Im contemplating replacing my 2005 12yr GE 40 gallon gas water heater. On thanks giving we came to the conclusion that the hot water at the sink is significantly hotter than usual. I ran water for abit & then filled cup 122 degrees with a thermometer. Have no idea if thats excessive but water steams in sink & we use to run the water all the way hot & be able to do dishes w/o scalding ourselves. that not the case. In process of adjusting stat at heater & re-asses....
Regardless waterheater is from 2005 & should start planning for it.
Will be buying from a supply house & not HD.....
For those that are in the industry & know what works, whats reliable, durable, has some longevity & wont fail in short order, what is your pick?
Would imagine people in the industry & see the failures everyday, the answer of which is the right choice is a very clear answer. When it comes to spending money I want to be re-assured I chose the right product & its going to last....
Then again, talk to 3 different plumbers & you get 3 different brand preference...
American? is ao smith & american the same?
American Standard?
Rheem?
Bradford White?
Ruud?
Any other?

Thanks for the insight!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see enough to say with certainty I am a plumber, been changing out quite a few lately but still just kinda guessing . but the overwhelming number of plumbers are going with Bradford White. they cost me 20 bucks more than home depot or Lowes AO smith.

Slater

Reaction score
I don't see enough to say with certainty I am a plumber, been changing out quite a few lately but still just kinda guessing . but the overwhelming number of plumbers are going with Bradford White. they cost me 20 bucks more than home depot or Lowes AO smith.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!
Have a friend that's in the industry / employee that's will give me a hand, Bradford Whites is all they install...
Also have plumber I've used in the past that is very meticulous & set in his ways, uses high premium quality products only to avoid premature failures, re-checks, etc & he recommends American...
Still on the fence, have no idea why the water felt hotter but even if its coming out of the faucet at 120 don't think that's excessive.
Looked around & don't see any external rust, 15 years old, my guess is its still functioning fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could try turning down the knob?
I'm not totally on the Bradford White bus but that's what I hear too. It seems that everyone believes everything from a big box store is crap and everything from a wholesale house is high quality no matter what it is. The manufactures make cheap inferior crap just to sell to home depot , and the big suppliers like Fergusson only get high quality , that some how the greedy manufactures couldn't slide that junk past them and the company wouldn't care to save a few bucks on a heater.
So I'm kinda on the fence but I have changed 5 year old leaking tanks from mainly others beside Bradford White but my analysis not based on many heaters .

Slater

Reaction score
Jeff
What brands 5yr old heaters have you had to replace, curious........
I did play with the tstat dial & have it under control & seems to be working, we have it dialed in at about 115 degrees.
Just seemed really hot before & we have no idea what changed......
scratching my head & I'm aware now that the current water heater is 15 years old...

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remeber my personal a o smith gas 50 gal 2012 to 2017 various other brands 5 years is on the short side but many under 10

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks