What are these lines on the Brand New Hot Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

KyleEle

Reaction score
Brand New Hot Water Heater, AO Smith, delivered couple days ago. I noticed a dent and these lines on the side of the tank. Want to get you guys opinion on it. Should I get a replacement or go ahead with the installation?

Attachments

• IMG-5460.JPG
    IMG-5460.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG-5461.JPG
    IMG-5461.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-5462.JPG
    IMG-5462.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG-5463.JPG
    IMG-5463.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG-5464.JPG
    IMG-5464.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-5465.JPG
    IMG-5465.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 156

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They're dents. Note that the outside is mostly cosmetic...the actual tank that holds the water is inside, covered by insulation, then that exterior is there for looks and to protect the insulation and inner tank.

Those dents could have occurred during shipping, or moving it into your home.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have mentioned the bigger dent the other minor creases I might not mention. If I pick up the heater open the box and install it I have some responsibility to inspect or ask customer to before installing

KyleEle

Reaction score
They're dents. Note that the outside is mostly cosmetic...the actual tank that holds the water is inside, covered by insulation, then that exterior is there for looks and to protect the insulation and inner tank.

Those dents could have occurred during shipping, or moving it into your home.

Cosmetic I'm not worried, it's more about the glass lining being damaged,. eg. hairline cracks. etc. .

KyleEle

Reaction score
I would have mentioned the bigger dent the other minor creases I might not mention. If I pick up the heater open the box and install it I have some responsibility to inspect or ask customer to before installing

Thumbs up. I treat people the way I want to be treated.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you bought and paid for a new water heater without dents and scratches, that's what you should get.
Dented and scratched water heaters are sold for less.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brand New Hot Water Heater, AO Smith, delivered couple days ago. I noticed a dent and these lines on the side of the tank. Want to get you guys opinion on it. Should I get a replacement or go ahead with the installation?
So what did you decide? you kept it or sent it back? had I not needed it in a hurry I'd want an undamaged one .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks