What are the restrictions for the materials used to support copper pipes (large pipes like the main

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
What you see in the picture is the main stack (background, green) and two other pipes joining it . You can also see two perforated straps that were used to support the pipe just below the join with the pipe that goes to the left (that goes to the upstairs toilet, blue on the picture)

I am closing the ceiling back and I think that I removed some sort of pipe (red in the picture) that was there connecting the two perforated straps, they both have loops and screws to tighten those loops

I want to put that piece of pipe back or if you have a better solution please suggest it. Can that pipe be any material or it must be a certain type (I think it was copper) I know that as with aluminum if you leave copper in contact with certain metals you could have issues

nTp9T.jpg

Mini Me

Reaction score
I ended up using a piece of copper pipe, that is what it was there before
The plan is to eventually add more support (a riser clamp) from above

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that is support for a horizontal pipe, the vertical clamp is different
no problem using copper , wood plastic , rubber. so it should be fine whether horizontal or vertical makes no difference your trying to protect the copper pipe from any corrosion. nothing wrong or out of code being a little inventive on supporting pipe on your own home . if its something just silly wrong inspector might say something

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks