What are the best undersink shutoff valves

Users who are viewing this thread

usckww

Reaction score
I hate the shut-off valves typically installed, and want to have mine replaced. Are there any that are similar to a house main shut off? 1/4 turn, never leak? Suggestions?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, they now make 1/4 turn shutoffs for under the sink. That's all I use now.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just get whatever they sell at the local hardware stores. Perhaps, the plumbing pros can give you a specific brand name.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of failures in the quarter-turn valves, and can not yet say with authority which are best. Although they're similar in construction to ball valves, I've seen them leak through the stems when turned and I've seen them leak when shut off. A week ago I was working with customer-supplied ball stops that wouldn't shut off, but were brand new.

There are higher-quality ones made but they're seldom available because most suppliers stock based upon cost rather than quality.

And there's no reason that you can't install quality ball valves with an adapter for faucets, except for cosmetic reasons.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I prefer to use Dahl mini ball valves for just about every application. But I am not sure if you can get access to them. I know Brasscraft makes similar products and they are a pretty solid manufacturer.

dahl-quick-grip-3.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My HD sells several brands, but Brasscraft is one of them. If you look in their catalog, they make a huge variety at various price points. Some are available in finishes other than chrome as well.

Construct30

Reaction score
I had some of the reqular old type valves back when they first switched to plastic stems that leaked out the handle. They just drilled a bit too deep into the stem for the handle screw, that has nothing to do with the quarter turn. It was even a good brand that I get from my supply house, just a bad run, was a pain to deal with, I had a box and more than half of them were like that. I bought valves at a chain store for a while after that. I love the quarter turns, brass craft are common and good.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I've never seen a problem with a 1/4 turn angle stop, other than installation error. i've worked almost exclusivley in service the last 5 years and have never seen a problem except with the ferull/nut connection.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The only problems I have heard of are that they are difficult to sweat and prone to failure following that.

Consequently I use compression or "screw on" where my two nipples allow me to do so. :)

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
From the first time I saw 1/4 turn stops, I started seeing leaks through the stem and no way to tighten them. A week or so ago I had to disconnect some to work on a pedestal. They had been supplied by the HO and I don't know the brand. They would not shut off all the way.

I'd be interested in trying the new Watts 1/4 turn with the sharkbite-type connection to the water line. Or maybe I'd just be compounding problems?

Construct30

Reaction score
I've used sweat, compression and FIP quarter turns in watts and brass craft only ever had one leak around the stem packing. One thing I don't like is when they don't give you a full nut at the base for your wrench when you are in a tight location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks