What are the best mini splits out there? (cooling an earth dome)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hydrocynus

Reaction score
Hello all,

you might have seen another post where I asked about on demand propane water heater as we are about to complete our 2400sf barrel vault (three vaults) earth sheltered home in southwest Florida. The design calls for three mini split, but the designer told us to use only one (we have air recovery systems via the foundation) and then add as needed. Because the price on these went down, we were advised to put two for now.

Sizing up will be a bit of a challenge as I am not sure where to look but I will figure it out. Regarding brands, I was told Mitsubishi but are there any other out there that are similar or better?

Thank you all for your help!
Cheers to all.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Mitsubishi is a first tier Japanese vendor, as is Daikin (the world's largest vendor of variable refrigerant volume equipment) and Fujitsu. But Midea, a first-tier Chinese vendor has recently become the world's largest vendor of cooling equipment (all types), and has a decades-long partnership with Toshiba for the high-performance compressor technology. (All Carrier mini-splits in the US are re-labeled Midea units.)

Vendor issues aside, the first and most important factor is sizing it correctly for both your high latent cooling and probably low/very-low sensible cooling needs, for a very low sensible heat ratio (SHR). Ultra-low SHR loads are the opposite of where most mini-splits really deliver on efficiency & comfort- even most 13 SEER standard split systems probably have an SHR too high to deliver comfort & humidity control on an earth-bermed house.

For the likely loads of your house I would only be looking at Daikin's Quaternity series minisplits, which have independently settable temperature and humidity set points when in cooling mode. All high SEER mini-splits would have to over-cool the place to manage the humidity, but the Quaternity should do it. Daikin's patented split coil on the indoor head allows it to dehumidify without sensible cooling, capable of a highly variable and adaptable SHR. The cooling load for the entire house is probably going to be within the output range of a 3/4 tonner, unless you have large amount of unshaded west facing window on one or more of those vaults.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vendor issues aside, the first and most important factor is sizing it correctly for both your high latent cooling and probably low/very-low sensible cooling needs, for a very low sensible heat ratio (SHR). Ultra-low SHR loads are the opposite of where most mini-splits really deliver on efficiency & comfort- even most 13 SEER standard split systems probably have an SHR too high to deliver comfort & humidity control on an earth-bermed house.
Hi Dana,

I'm curious why an earth-bermed house would have a lower than typical SHR. Is it because (a) the earth berming will provide very good thermal insulation, so heat gain relative to a typical home will be lower, but internal humidity generation by occupant activities will be the same, or (b) the earth berming itself will be a source of additional internal water vapor, or both?

I'm guessing (a) only, as I would think that (b) would be something to avoid via proper vapor barrier usage.

Thanks,
Wayne

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hi Dana,

I'm curious why an earth-bermed house would have a lower than typical SHR. Is it because (a) the earth berming will provide very good thermal insulation, so heat gain relative to a typical home will be lower, but internal humidity generation by occupant activities will be the same, or (b) the earth berming itself will be a source of additional internal water vapor, or both?

I'm guessing (a) only, as I would think that (b) would be something to avoid via proper vapor barrier usage.

Thanks,
Wayne

The high thermal mass of the earth over the top and sides in combination with the insulation means you get next to zero solar gain through the roof and walls, so the sensible load becomes primarily from indoor sources of heat and window shading factors. The house is effectively earth-coupled to the subsoil temperatures, an not much affected by peak solar intensity or daily outdoor temperatures. That reduces sensible average & peak loads to something much smaller than on a typical stick built house. But assuming the house has been properly waterproofed, the latent loads from ventilation, occupant activities (breathing, cooking, bathing, etc) are the same as in any house.

In a place like Ft. Myers, the subsoil temperatures are in the already comfortable mid-70s, so with an insulated earth berm it should stay comfortable indoors as long as the interior heat and window heat gains are modest and get pumped out.

US-ground-temps.gif

But the humidity of the ventilation air needs to be carefully managed in Ft. Myers, since it will likely become a driving factor of the latent loads in summer, given outdoor dew points north of 60F nearly 100% of the time in July & August, north of a very sticky 70F more than 90% of the time.

Compare that kind of ventilation latent load to Bay Area summertime dew points that only break 60F about 3% of the time. In most of CA an earth bermed house could do OK with just about any vendors' mini-splits, controlling indoor humidity by bumping up the ventilation rates when needed, since the ventilation's latent load is usually negative.

You can't dehumidify that way in Ft. Myers, and a room dehumidifier only converts that latent load into as sensible load. Using a Daikin Quaternity takes a big step forward on managing that load, but using Energy Recovery Ventilation (ERV) that does at least some amount of humidity transfer, rather than Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV) or supply-only/exhaust-only strategies will also help quite a bit. It may still need further mechancal dehumidification than just a Quaternity if high ventilation rates are required, but it won't need nearly as much.

A heat pump water heater (HPWH) located indoors would also help reduce indoor humidity, putting that converted sensible heat into the water inside an insulated tank rather than into the indoor air. I recently responded to his thread about the propane water heater suggesting it would be cheaper than propane even if located outdoors, but given the particulars of his cooling load profile it would be MUCH better on a total net energy basis to put it indoors, and forget about hooking up propane. The last thing you want to do is use propane for cooking indoor, since the primary exhaust product is water, and propane burner indoors would require high rates of exhaust ventilation, drawing in some of that torrid, humid outdoor air in summer. The HPWH would do double-duty, lowering the latent cooling load, and at an operating cost WAY below that of a condensing propane burner in that local market.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks