What air compressor do you use for service work?

Users who are viewing this thread

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been using Kobalt compressors, they made a 3 gallon hot dog style one that made 3.2cfm@60. I've been happy with them but they've been discontinued, so when they break I'm not sure what's next.

Prior to the Kobalts I used PorterCable pancakes and I hated them. Too tall to fit in boxes and they always roll in vans, so they had to be tied down.

Prior to the pancakes we used 1hp tank-less compressors. Tank-less compressors don't seem to exist anymore. Their top end was less than a 100psi and they just had a relief valve. they basically ran the whole time rather than cycling. I kinda liked those. I don't need them for anything above 100psi so they were fine and they made rather good cfm. I'm considering taking the compressors off the pancakes I still have and fabricating a 'tank' with pipe fittings. I don't need a large tank for anything.

Overall important attributes to me are:
Less than 50 pounds. I want to move them with one hand and not kill myself in crawl spaces.
Greater than 3cfm@60psi. If I need to fill a 130gallon tank I don't want to be there all day.
Oil Free: I don't want to blow oil into potable supplies.
Small tank: The tanks are just extra weight, A tank of some size it helpfully to pressure check lines but it doesn't need any real volume.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My son picked up a Craftsman, it's oil less, lays flat, light, fits in the cabinets and was like $100. We usually get a couple years out of them so $100 for a few years is pretty cheap. I'd rather have a tankless like you describe, but haven't seen one in years.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually just carry a bottle of nitrogen with a regulator & hose. I sometimes need more than 125 psi for airlines or packers.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No experience. I did a search based on your numbers, and this was the closest I found:

That's not bad, I don't like the switch hanging out in the open like that. Looks prone to damage. I'll see where I'm at when one of mine fails. If they get cheaper it might make my decision.

I usually just carry a bottle of nitrogen with a regulator & hose. I sometimes need more than 125 psi for airlines or packers.

This is something I never thought of doing, sounds great in concept. No running cords or listening to the compressors, probably a lot lighter.

I'd like to know a bit more. How long does a typical tank last you? How many average service calls? What are the associated costs?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually probably the best way to do it would be to get a SCBA or scuba tank (different fittings between the two). I'm a member of my local fire dept, so I can refill it at no cost. I don't know what pressure a scuba tank is filled to, but we fill our SCBA tanks to 2250 psi. These tanks are available in steel, aluminum, and composite construction. They also make tanks that can be pressurized to 3500 and 4500 psi. We have one tank set up on a rescue truck with a regulator at 100 psi to run an air chisel.

If you don't have access to a high pressure compressor at a fire dept, or a dive shop, then you're left with the industrial gas suppliers. As I recall, a nitrogen bottle costs about the same as an oxygen bottle to purchase and refill. I've also seen setups before to run pneumatic nail guns on a CO2 tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I use to carry Nitrogen tanks to check water level in some really deep wells. Sometimes needed to pump up to 300--400 PSI to check the water level in a 1600-2000 foot deep well.

I still have a couple of old Campbell tankless units. I guess a person could just take the tank off of any compressor.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach I think I'm gonna try those california air tools compressors. I didn't realize somebody made one to be quiet. I'm going to start with the smallest one and see how I like it. You can also get a head/motor with no tank as well but I'm going to go ahead and get the tank.

Biggest problem I have is getting the hoses tangled up after using. I try to use bungee cords etc but they always get tangled. What are you guys using to stop this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks