What a Mess!

Users who are viewing this thread

TheGreek

Reaction score
So, I got my 2nd floor bathroom floor open and found a convoluted mess on the vent plumbing. It all met the code as of 1990.

My problem is that we need to move the toilet a few feet to the right. Problem is they vented it at the hip wall and not the side wall.

We will be moving the sink closer to the hip wall, near where the toilet was. The old fiberglass tub-shower is being replaced with a 1930's cast iron built in. We are going to build a platform across the rear 4 feet of the bathroom and raise the tub up about 7 inches. The issue is the long vent distance fore the toilet.

It will be about 8 feet. Too long under the UPC. The second floor is a truss system so I do not want to punch any more holes in that 11 inch bottom chord. They did that over by the tub and I can see it cracking.

The only thing I can think of, if the depth allows for it, is to use the existing sink drain as a vent line. If, I can get it to tee in at a 45 degree angle. Then the toilet would have two vents along its run. See the photo for layout and any suggestions would be appreciated.

JD.

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 118

TheGreek

Reaction score
After sleeping on it all night...

One idea is to make the "splice" using a Wye that is at the far right of the platform (green line in the photo) and have it go back toward the hip wall and tie into the existing vent line. They are basically doing the same thing right now. That would put the vent at less than 5 feet from the toilet. I am 80 miles away from this home right now but then I get up there I will have to take some detailed measurements.

I would greatly appreciate folks thoughts on Plan A and now Plan B and any plan C's that more knowledgeable minds can come up with.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your close. Vent everything through the new sink then tie it into the old sinks vent. Similar to what you have drawn but the vent for your toilet shouldn't be there. You can't run it horizontally under the floor.

TheGreek

Reaction score
Hi John,

The only problem I suspect is that the sink vent is only 1.5 inch and not 2 inch. Is that going to be an issue? I am also not sure if there is going to be enough room to get the vent Wye to 45 degrees. I will have to see when I get back up to the house.

The existing toilet vent is under the floor and runs horizontally until it turns up at the hip wall. Was that done incorrectly when the house was built?

You can see in the top down photo taken where the old floor met the hip wall (bathroom on one side and attic on the other) that the vent line made a sharp 90 coming off the Wye and then ran a foot before truning up toward the ceiling. Are you telling me that I cannot do the same thing where I cut the 3 inch pipe arm to extend the three inch line?

{I was hoping that I could do that so that the 2 inch vent pipe would be within 6 feet of the toilet. The other thing my amateur mind thought of was using both. Trying to tie the 1.5 inch old sink line in, doing the parallel run about mid way and of course leaving the existing vent line. At the end of the day there would be three vents on the 3 inch horizontal waste line of about 8 feet long}

Thank you for the help. James

Attachments

• top_down_at_hip_wall_attic_resize.JPG
    top_down_at_hip_wall_attic_resize.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 106

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should be able to get a standard horizontal wet vent to work. The 1.5" vent will have to get replaced with 2", on which case there's no reason to reuse the old sink vent.

Just run a 3" pipe to the toilet. Wye off for the shower and lav respectively with 2" pipe. Then the lav continues up the wall with 2". Its all vented through the lav. The vent for the toilet is measured from the toilet riser to the lav wye. Shower is the same.

TheGreek

Reaction score
The thing that will complicate everything is I cannot cut into the bottom truss chord. I need a solution that runs parallel to it or over the top in the new to be built platform. That truss was already drilled through and is cracking. I cannot make it worse.

The 3 inch drain heading down has all the connections in such a way that I cannot get to any virgin pipe. That is why I was asking about extending the existing 3 inch to where I need it and finding a way to vent it back via the hip wall.

I know it is unusual, but I am wondering if I can extend the old sink drain which is already through the truss chord and bring it into the 3 inch at or above a 45 degree angle. I addition, use a wye to extend the 3 inch pipe and run it back above and parallel to the 3 inch drain and then run it up the hip wall next to the existing vent pipe and tie into the same horizontal line that heads to the vertical that goes up through the roof.

This would give the 8 foot 3 inch run from the toilet three vent lines. A little nuts but it would keep me form having to tear up the ground floor of the house to expose the 3 inch line where it drops down the wall into the first floor.

Thoughts? James

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your planning on running the toilet across the room then everything should be able to come off of it. I don't really see what your saying.

6 feet is the distance a toilet can be from its vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks