What a Mess, How to Repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Took off the wall-paper in my bathroom.

Some came easy, some not.

The drywall paper tore (in pictures). In the past I've used joint compound and the fibers show through when I sand.

Is there a technique or product that I can use to repair these torn spots?

Thanks for any replys! :)

Attachments

• torn1100_2873.jpg
    torn1100_2873.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 554
  • torn100_2877.jpg
    torn100_2877.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 563

sibi1972

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a co-worker who told me about a mesh he had used on entire bad walls, said it came on rolls and after putting it on the wall, you skim coat it with joint compound and sand it. That skim coating thing doesn't sound easy to me and I don't know much more but there's SOME kinda product out there.

In the hopes this helps.

Red

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on how you want it to look when finished...you can use dry wall mud on the holes or reboard over the existing wall with 1/4" dry wall and mud and tape...and of course you can remove the old board and reinstall new.

Cookie

Reaction score
There is a product out there, I think, HD carried it, where it is like a wallpaper and used for bad walls. My brother and I did it on his walls in a bedroom, and it came out really nice. It comes either in textured, or a flat surface, and is paintable.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
As long as the actual drywall is still sound, and you're only talking about the occasional torn-off paper, you can just skim-coat it. Use regular (NOT lightweight) drywall compound, the widest trowel or taping knife you can control, and remember: many thin coats are easier than trying to build it all off & having to sand excessivelly...

The 4-ft-wide mesh is for old plaster walls, when it's spiderwebbed really badly & you need to hold it together some... you shouldn't need anything on these walls, judging by your pics.

Any paper that bubbles up when you skimcoat it - just open up the bubble, for now - let the compound dry, THEN tear off the loose paper and recoat. If you try to tear it off when the plaster's still damp, it'll turn into a mess (don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this one), you'll end up pulling off sound paper.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
holes

IT is no different than patching a hole in the wall. Use tape over it or get one of the adhesive mesh repairs, then cement over it, taper the patch, and sand it.

Cookie

Reaction score
So much easier to buy the paper, put it on, paint it, and go watch the game. :D

CharlieM

Reaction score
For lots of damaged paper and nicks/gouges, I found the best method is to sand things lightly getting all of the loose edges removed. Then go over it with something like Zinsser Gardz to seal it all, followed by skim coating with drywall mud. The sealant will help keep the mud from bubbling.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
IT is no different than patching a hole in the wall. Use tape over it or get one of the adhesive mesh repairs, then cement over it, taper the patch, and sand it.

Ditto!

Tom

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Yep, been there done that.

My whole house was wallpapered when we moved in (bathrooms included, ugh!!)

Maybe 1 or 2 walls were "sized" before putting the paper up, so taking the paper down led to a whole bunch of patching over exposed drywall paper (the brown part, not the normal white surface of drywall). Sanding down the fibers then using thin layers of compound seemed to work best. I didnt know there were products out there to help with this type of issue, but if there are anything is probably worth a shot over layers and layers of compound!!

At one point I thought about ripping it all down and starting over, but since Im no good at taping it would have been a major chore. Hindsight says it would have been a better idea to do it (so I could insulate better, etc) but its too late now!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks