Users who are viewing this thread

C.Chase

Reaction score
Removing the check valve is a MAJOR problem. You will probably start running out of hot water at the tub/shower, or run a lot more water at the tub to compensate for it it is also probably why the water gets hot when the toilet flushes.

I'm not sure but how does the check valve cause the hot water to run out? Or the water to run cold? I can't seem to locate any information about what exactly the importance of the check valve is. I only noted that in the original configuration there was a check valve, and now there isn't and of course the plumber took all the old piping with them.... Any help? Thank you

C.Chase

Reaction score
That "U" bend at the heater SHOULD prevent any gravity circulation from working properly

The"U" in top picture was the original configuration and the gravity circulation was working really good.... The new configuration does not have the U. Or is my idea of the U different than what the actual U is?

C.Chase

Reaction score
You don't need pump or check valve on recirculation line if it's installed properly.

Guess it was installed properly, was being past tense...

Anyways, The Plumber was very nice, even though when I mentioned the re-circulation line was gravity draining /non-powered convection he looked at me like I was nutty. Haha
I will get in touch with him re check valve, hopefully this can be resolved, as I hope to eventually get a replacement pump that will fit where current pump is. And It would be ideal to have the check valve in place, so it's all ready to go.
All for now.
Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guess it was installed properly, was being past tense...

Anyways, The Plumber was very nice, even though when I mentioned the re-circulation line was gravity draining /non-powered convection he looked at me like I was nutty. Haha
I will get in touch with him re check valve, hopefully this can be resolved, as I hope to eventually get a replacement pump that will fit where current pump is. And It would be ideal to have the check valve in place, so it's all ready to go.
All for now.
Thanks for your time :)
Fire that plumber as he doesn't know how gravity circulation works... this coming from a hydronic heating guy.

C.Chase

Reaction score
gravity circulation works

May I ask how would you configure the return line pipe between heater drain T & pump?
1-is it okay new return line going out sideways from T (previous went down-see pic)
2-Check valve goes between red water on/off & pump... But where?

If you look at the picture, there's not quite room for the check valve to be added now, so more pipe will have to be added - - it would be ideal if he would put that sideways U back- I wonder if that was key in my previous configuration? & The check valve?

Well,
I already paid him for the installation, to install WH & reattach return line.
So he's coming back tomorrow morning to put the check valve back. Idk if it's the same valve he removed or a new one?

**Also, is this normal for pump??
Idk if it's working!? I plugged it in, & it is very quiet, but very hot to touch, the pipe between heater& pump is to hot to touch actually... Return line pipe from house, before pump also feels warm. I thought that meant it is pumping? Where is the water coming from if not returning cooler water?
*Note, I still don't have hot water at farthest faucet for over 2min.

OK I think that's all my Q for today ;)
Thanks always

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks