Wet venting bathrooms in Seattle

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffreyP

Reaction score
I'm planning my drain/vent system for a remodel of my house. Since I'm in Seattle, I'm using this resource https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/he...ocuments/plumbing/horizontal-wet-venting.ashx which calls out the Seattle specific UPC amendments and has some helpful explanation/comments.

I'd love some feedback on my plan to confirm if I'm on the right track with my understanding the rules and with my planned design. The A/B options below are the same except for how drain lines of the two 2nd floor bathroom groups join - I'm not sure if this should be joined while still both horizontal (Option A) or if they should start dropping down and be joined when both are vertical (Option B).

plumbing diagram.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks OK to me. Either option is fine. Where are the kitchen sink and laundry, and how are they vented?

BTW, what software did you use to make your diagrams?

Cheers, Wayne

JeffreyP

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Wayne.

Here is an updated version that also shows the kitchen/laundry (and a basement utility sink) that you asked about. I just used Microsoft Paint to make the diagrams. I'm sure there is a fancier way but Paint is pretty simple to use and gets the job done.

Also, I upsized the wet vents coming from the lavs to 3" in this version, not sure if this is needed or not but figured it wouldn't hurt. I'm planning on trying to ask the local inspector as well, but figured I try to get some feedback here first to make sure I'm on the right track.

Plumbing DWV v2.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Still looks good to me. I don't see any upside to upsizing the lav horizontal wet vent to 3" before it hits the toilet.

You could downsize the kitchen sink/laundry vents to 1.5", that's good for 8 DFUs (excluding WCs).

Cheers, Wayne

JeffreyP

Reaction score
Point noted about the kitchen sink/laundry vent size - thanks!

For the change from 2" to 3" for the wet vent, I was reading this section:
908.2.2 Size. The wet vent shall be sized based on the fixture unit discharge into the wet vent. The wet vent shall be not less than 2 inches (50 mm) in diameter for 4 drainage fixture units (dfu) or less, and not less than 3 inches (80 mm) in diameter for 5 dfu or more.
and then adding 1 (lav) + 2 (shower) + 3 (WC) = 6 which was making me think that I needed to upsize that first part of the wet vent.

Perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly and the 'discharge into the wet vent' part doesn't mean for the whole wet vent but just section by section?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, section by section. The horizontal wet vent before the toilet comes in is only carrying 1 DFU.

But if you had a wet vent that was lav - shower - bathtub - toilet, the section after the bathtub comes in is carrying 5 DFUs, so it would have to be 3", even before the toilet comes in.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks