Wet Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

RedDrum

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was reading some IPC literature about wet venting and came across something I do not understand.

https://imgur.com/a/C71e86z

Does the last WC count towards the wet vent size/DFU calculation? My understanding is the last WC is not part of the wet vent, because it drains directly into the main drain.

Thanks for your time!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "wet vent" ends there, but it has to accomdate the "first/last", depending on which way you are calculating it, toilet. In addition, the "center" shower is NOT vented and CANNOT use the "wet vent" as its vent.

RedDrum

Reaction score
The "wet vent" ends there, but it has to accomdate the "first/last", depending on which way you are calculating it, toilet. In addition, the "center" shower is NOT vented and CANNOT use the "wet vent" as its vent.

Eh, how is the center shower not vented? This is directly from the IPC guidelines, not something I drew up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
REAL plumbers do NOT consider the IPC a real "code". It is more a document that lets "plumbers" do just about anything they want to. Which is why the IPC canceled their merger with the UPC. Its members realized how much they would have to change their practices to join the more strict UPC.

RedDrum

Reaction score
Toilet is flowing past it

Ah ok, that makes sense. Looking at the UPC code it does mention Water Closets, and how they need to be the last connection.

I think the other difference between IPC and UPC here is the sizing for the dry vent right? IPC says 1/2 of the maximum wet vent diameter, whereas UPC says calculate it based DFUs and the vent piping chart?

RedDrum

Reaction score
REAL plumbers do NOT consider the IPC a real "code". It is more a document that lets "plumbers" do just about anything they want to. Which is why the IPC canceled their merger with the UPC. Its members realized how much they would have to change their practices to join the more strict UPC.

Thanks, did not realize that. I will reference UPC going forward.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
REDUNDANT? That means it just duplicates something else, but it sure does NOT duplicate the IPC. First or last, it depends on which way you are considering it. Coming from the sewer side it has to be the first one, counting from the end of the line it has to be the last one.

RedDrum

Reaction score
REDUNDANT? That means it just duplicates something else, but it sure does NOT duplicate the IPC. First or last, it depends on which way you are considering it. Coming from the sewer side it has to be the first one, counting from the end of the line it has to be the last one.

Can you please review my potential setup.

https://imgur.com/ZNbtO3E

The dry-vent starts on the right, and everything flows into my main drain.

Two questions I have are:

1) What's the maximum degrees my trap arm can turn prior to joining my wet vent? I might run into an issue where I need to do a long 90 or even 135 into the wet vent.

2) Does UPC mention anything regarding burying pex under concrete? I have a slab foundation, and plan on running the pex, below the frost line, alongside the drain after I make the trench. I plan on putting a barrier around the pex, perhaps sand.

Thank you!

RedDrum

Reaction score
One thing I might have to do is dry vent that second lav separately. UPC 908.2.3 mentions exceptions for "water closets and similar fixtures", but I don't think a lav qualifies for "similar fixtures".

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

RedDrum

Reaction score
This is an explanation with drawings of UPC H-Wet Venting put out by the chief inspector of King Co.. IE Seattle. Your drawing looks like it fits that definition and interpretation .. and if you want you could probably just call it circuit venting by throwing a random vent up in the middle after/downstream of the lavs

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/he...ocuments/plumbing/horizontal-wet-venting.ashx

Thanks Tuttles. Yeah, I plan on adding a vent in the middle lav.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks