Wet vent for drain/standpipe permitted via main stack? (2012 IPC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgeist

Reaction score
Hi, I have an HE furnace and a condensing tankless water heater in close proximity to each other. Both produce quite a bit of condensate, the latter nearly constantly whenever it's running. The T&P valve and both poly drain lines are outputting to an open sump pit which otherwise only collects excess groundwater from the foundation. I'd like to seal/replace that pit and move the condensate and T&P lines to an air-gaped receptacle in or near the floor....kind of like a across between a standpipe and floor drain.

Due to the tight area, turns, etc. I'm having a problem figuring out how I'd vent this, and I'm assuming it does need to be vented. One option is to run additional vent line up after the trap and tie into existing venting then drop the drain side straight down into a wye on a horizontal drain under the floor. The other is to connect the output trap arm directly into a sanitary tee on the main (4" stack), making the stack a functional "wet vent". Is this a permissible way to wet vent this "fixture" or is that verboten due the the kind of "contents" the two bathroom groups above would put into the stack?

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting isn't done between floors. Same floor only.
If you cut into the stack, there will need to be a vent between the trap and the stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks