Wet room help

Users who are viewing this thread

Joec23

Reaction score
Hi I’m in the process of doing my master bath that is 15x8. There is going to be a 7.5x8 wet room that has two showers and a free standing tub across the back wall. I’m doing a 96 inch liner drain that has built in Kerdi liner for the showers. I’m a little stumped on the best way to do the tub drain as It would need to be water proofed. I thought maybe a kerdi flange and just drop a tail piece into that but not crazy about that idea not sure if it would drain properly. Any input would be appreciated
Thanks

E43E86B2-2B38-499C-BD5D-D31F4443A290.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this a remodel or an all new addition?

The floor drain and the tub drain will need its own trap. What floor level of the home and type of floor, wood or concrete? Where in the room is the main and the existing vent(s). You might want to go with a shorter drain line because of pitch. You want the water to drain away from the walls even if it is going to be all tile.

As a thought, elevate the tub area maybe 4" so the curb effect will stop water from working under the tub. Perhaps about 12" from the tub so it will be a step but it might prude too much into the shower area. Showers splash a lot of water everywhere and a wide open space everything will get wet. The idea is cool and maybe the wife wants it all open but it can be a lot of maintenance. Fortunately, LI has fairly soft water so hard water deposits will be minimal but soap scum will accumulate.

Some reading material:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drainage-fixture-unit-values-d_1077.html

Plumbing Guide 2015 - Helpful Hints Residential Construction

Last edited:

Joec23

Reaction score
This is a remodel on the 2nd floor wood joist. I already sistered the joists under the tub with new 2x8s. The main stack is on in the wall behind the tub and will be adding a 2nd vent on the far wall with the double vanity. The liner drain will be going in front of the tub it has 2 outlets and they will be piped separately to the stack.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're looking for this drain assembly. You will likely want to have the actual tub on site for rough in so you can get the drain in the EXACT spot that it wants to live in when finished. Also... how will you be filling your tub? Floor mounted filler or wall mounted? Floor mounts can be tricky to waterproof as well... But usually they're set to the back side and shouldn't be getting flooded so some sealant is usually all that's needed.

tub-drain-for-free-standing.jpg

Joec23

Reaction score
You're looking for this drain assembly. You will likely want to have the actual tub on site for rough in so you can get the drain in the EXACT spot that it wants to live in when finished. Also... how will you be filling your tub? Floor mounted filler or wall mounted? Floor mounts can be tricky to waterproof as well... But usually they're set to the back side and shouldn't be getting flooded so some sealant is usually all that's needed.

doing a wall mounted filler and The tub is stone resin. Thoughts on this one says it can be used for two inch.

http://www.westbrass.com/store/pc/catalog/TC3.pdf

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Tiling over a wooden floor can be tricky if you plan to use a membrane to water proof. In Florida a permit is needed because the water proofing is critical on a wooded floor. If you haven't ever seen this site it is has good information and a forum just on tiling. https://www.johnbridge.com/

Joec23

Reaction score
Tiling over a wooden floor can be tricky if you plan to use a membrane to water proof. In Florida a permit is needed because the water proofing is critical on a wooded floor. If you haven't ever seen this site it is has good information and a forum just on tiling. https://www.johnbridge.com/

thanks for the link. Doing a mud job over the plywood then kerdi membrane as this will be a curb less entry. Also adding hydronic Radiant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks