Wellmate HP-9 Pressure Tank Continues to get Water Logged

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisianthus

Reaction score
I moved into a new home November 2016. When you turned on a faucet a horrible stench permeated the house. Hydrogen sulfide gas. To remedy this problem the well man switched out a regular pressure tank for a Wellmate HP-9 Aeration tank. This tank has NO bladder and works on principle of introducing air to oxidize and aerate to eliminate the gas smell. 1/3 of the tank should be air, 2/3 should be water. This system resolved the problem and worked for 8 months. In August of this year I noticed while watering plants outside, the water would come out in bursts followed by lulls, and then I noticed it was happening at all faucets inside and was especially noticeable when the toilets were filling up. I called the well company and they told me the micronizer probably needed adjusting. When they came, I was told the tank was water logged. They have now made multiple trips, replaced the micronizer twice, replaced an "O" ring and checked for leaks, drained the water and added new air. After 4 days the problem returns. The manufacturer says the air volume control may not be working but the well man says it is working and it does not add air it takes air out. He said the pressure is not dropping sufficiently to put air back into the tank and that occurs because of "HOW I USE THE WATER". I don't buy this explanation because the system worked fine for the first 8 months and I have not changed my water habits. I think something is defective in the tank. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideas what the solution might be? I have talked repeatedly with the well man and the manufacturer and have gotten nowhere.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have the Wellmate micronizer?
Micronizer_CH3929-5___32309.1461640889.380.500.jpg

Is your indicator pointing to one of the 90 degree positions (=closed)? I don't know why there are two 90 degree positions. Maybe try the other one?

That "closed" seems like a poor choice of wording. I think they should have used something like "max air".

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
He said the pressure is not dropping sufficiently to put air back into the tank and that occurs because of "HOW I USE THE WATER".
That can be a factor. If you use water for extended times such as irrigation where the pump runs for a long time hovering near the cutout pressure, the micronizer will not be sucking air. Depending on pressure settings and pump flow rate, the micronizer only adds air during about the first third of the pump cycle or in other words, when the pressure is below a certain value. In actuality it is supposed to be based on the GPM of flow, not just pressure but if the pump does not produce adequate GPM at high enough pressure, it will not suck air.

I had a problem before replacing my Goulds pump with a Grundfos where the Goulds just could not put out what the micronizer needed. My Grundfos puts out enough.

If the water level in the well drops, it can put the pump too far off on the curve to where it cannot satisfy the micronizer. If the flow rate diminsihed due to iron sludge or mineral buildup, that might be another factor.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Micronizers are a headache and you will ALWAYS be messing with them trying to keep them working. Most require a 5 gpm flow to add any air...so as mentioned above, long water use at higher flow will introduce the most air. I have quit installing them because they are so hard to keep working.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
Do you have the Wellmate micronizer?
Micronizer_CH3929-5___32309.1461640889.380.500.jpg

Is your indicator pointing to one of the 90 degree positions (=closed)? I don't know why there are two 90 degree positions. Maybe try the other one?

That "closed" seems like a poor choice of wording. I think they should have used something like "max air".
The "FIRST" micronizer they installed was the one that came with the Wellmate. The well man said he does see problems with them, so he came back and install a different one, he called more heavy duty. I ask him who made it and he said he did not know, he got it from Galla Service, but could find out who manufactures it. I can't look at it because it installed in the well head, not at the tank. The reason for this I was told is because I have an outdoor spigot between the well head and the house. The well man adjusted the micronizer setting several times and last told me he has it set on the "max" setting.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
That can be a factor. If you use water for extended times such as irrigation where the pump runs for a long time hovering near the cutout pressure, the micronizer will not be sucking air. Depending on pressure settings and pump flow rate, the micronizer only adds air during about the first third of the pump cycle or in other words, when the pressure is below a certain value. In actuality it is supposed to be based on the GPM of flow, not just pressure but if the pump does not produce adequate GPM at high enough pressure, it will not suck air.

I had a problem before replacing my Goulds pump with a Grundfos where the Goulds just could not put out what the micronizer needed. My Grundfos puts out enough.

If the water level in the well drops, it can put the pump too far off on the curve to where it cannot satisfy the micronizer. If the flow rate diminsihed due to iron sludge or mineral buildup, that might be another factor.
I think probably this is the best explanation, since I did have irrigation running this summer for a garden and most likely used it more often in August (which is when the problem showed up). I also use a snap on water filter at my kitchen sink for drinking water, although I have used this device since I moved in. Could this also be a cause? I suggested to the well man that my GPM was not sufficient. He said that was not the case, it flows at about 8 GPM. My well report from the Health Dept says the Natural Flow Rate: 5 GPM. Can I assume that the water level in the well would be lower at the end of summer? We did not have a drought.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I can't look at it because it installed in the well head, not at the tank.
That can pose a problem over time as iron in the water will start to precipitate within inches of the micronizer and clog the line which in turn reduces flow which in turn causes the micronizer to not suck air.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
That can pose a problem over time as iron in the water will start to precipitate within inches of the micronizer and clog the line which in turn reduces flow which in turn causes the micronizer to not suck air.
The only problem with this idea is that two new micronizers have been installed in the last month and I doubt they would already have a precipitate after just 4 days of use. Also, the well water tested "0" for iron.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only problem with this idea is that two new micronizers have been installed in the last month and I doubt they would already have a precipitate after just 4 days of use.
It is not the micronizer that clogs with precipitated iron, it is the pipe after it. Replacing a micronizer does not unclog the pipe if it is clogged with iron precipitate. Moot however if there is no iron.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
It is not the micronizer that clogs with precipitated iron, it is the pipe after it. Replacing a micronizer does not unclog the pipe if it is clogged with iron precipitate. Moot however if there is no iron.
Thank you for that clarification plus all the other good info. I'm not quite sure where I go from here. Two givens: there will always be a garden in the summer which will use drip irrigation; the water without this system smelled so bad you could not stand to take a shower. This system seemed like such a simplistic system versus all the other types out there to remove hydrogen sulfide. IS THERE ANY WAY TO BYPASS FOR THE PURPOSE OF IRRIGATION? Probably a dumb question but I am desperate. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would like to know what kind of air injector can be put inside the well? I am thinking it is a regular bleeder orifice. Like LL says, after an air injector it is probably going to clog the pipe.

Have you looked at the Sulfur Eliminator? It is made by a guy in Georgia. I think it maybe a good way to solve your problem, but you will have to remove the in well air injector.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about putting another micronizer inside before your pressure tank?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The reason for this I was told is because I have an outdoor spigot between the well head and the house.
How much work would it be to rerun the line to the spigot from the house?

As for your drip irrigation, that does not sound like it would draw enough for the pump to run constantly just below the cutout pressure where the micronizer does not work. I'm going to go with a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) theory that the spigot is acting as an air separator and bleeding off the air that would otherwise go to the tank. You might even have a very small leak bleeding off the air.

There are other systems available to aerate the water to remove odor that uses compressed air.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I would like to know what kind of air injector can be put inside the well? I am thinking it is a regular bleeder orifice. Like LL says, after an air injector it is probably going to clog the pipe.

Have you looked at the Sulfur Eliminator? It is made by a guy in Georgia. I think it maybe a good way to solve your problem, but you will have to remove the in well air injector.
I was thinking a bleeder too, but if the guy filled out the form correctly, natural flow on the Virginia form means artesian flow......so a bleeder would never work since the water would never drain.

Lisianthus- Do you know if your well has an artesian flow (flows on it's own)? They may have put something on the wellhead to stop it, but according to your report it does...where in VA are you?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of treatment, but I've had good success a few times with Water Right brand equipment...their impression series sulfur unit.

Lisianthus

Reaction score

I am going to find out what the air injector is and will report back. I have actually looked at the Sulfur Eliminator and read the threads in this forum. It seems to me this is not a lot different from what I have except that I guess you can use it with another pressure tank. I am hoping to make my existing configuration work rather than spending more $ at this point, but it might be an alternative.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
How about putting another micronizer inside before your pressure tank?
The well man has suggested moving the micronizer inside next to the tank and doing away with the outdoor spigot or having it run back to the house. I don't want to do away with the spigot and it will be a long run back to the house. I do have a question here. I grow plants for a living and my water usage in the summer triples from this. Isn't that excess water usage a burden on the pressure tank life? Or is this spigot actually reducing the life of the well pump? I have never had a well before, always city water, so this is all new to me. Thank you for your ideas & suggestions.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
I was thinking a bleeder too, but if the guy filled out the form correctly, natural flow on the Virginia form means artesian flow......so a bleeder would never work since the water would never drain.

Lisianthus- Do you know if your well has an artesian flow (flows on it's own)? They may have put something on the wellhead to stop it, but according to your report it does...where in VA are you?
I do not know but I will find out.

Lisianthus

Reaction score
How much work would it be to rerun the line to the spigot from the house?

As for your drip irrigation, that does not sound like it would draw enough for the pump to run constantly just below the cutout pressure where the micronizer does not work. I'm going to go with a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) theory that the spigot is acting as an air separator and bleeding off the air that would otherwise go to the tank. You might even have a very small leak bleeding off the air.

There are other systems available to aerate the water to remove odor that uses compressed air.
The spigot is a good distance from the house but I am going to talk with the builder about what it would take. So are you saying there might be a leak at the spigot - I'm not clear with what you mean here? The well man checked the tank for leaks (could not find one using soap method) but still installed a new "o" ring at the top fitting on the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see a problem having the micronizer at the tank and keeping the spigot where it is. The water from the spigot will be a combo of water that comes un-treated from the well, and water that works backwards through the micronizer from the tank. The plants won't be harmed. I am not a pro.

LLigetfa alternates micronizers, if I read correctly. While one is soaking clean, the other is in service. Water varies, so that may not be needed for your water.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....er-pressure-tank-questions.71500/#post-528508

Also, I wonder if reducing your water pressure would help.

I looked for a suitable air compressor and air injector, but I did not find one. It seems to me that an electric pump, powered via the pressure switch, could be effective compared to pumping air with a venturi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks