Well X Trol Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

GLH

Reaction score
I have a Well-X-Trol 203 in my basement......not sure how old, but am suspecting it's the age of the house.....i.e. 20 years old. In July '06 I replaced the 30/50 pressure switch, which was gunked up with rust and debris, with a new 40/60. I also replaced the check valve and pressure gauge. (BTW....the submersible pump/motor assy is a Aermotor Series T, 25 GPM , 1H.P....probably same age)
Everything has worked fine until 2 weeks ago when I began hearing a slamming noise immediately when the pressure switch reached it's cut-out pressure. The noise and vibration was traced to the check valve located next to the tank. I cut the power and drained the tank. The bladder was found to be holding pressure. The gauge, however was not working properly. I found it gunked up...so I replaced it. I disassembled the pressure switch and found a fine rust grit in the pipe leading up to the pressure switch and on the "bladder" section of the switch itself. After cleaning all this as best as I could, I put it back into service and the slamming has gone away. No more problems.

My question is: Could it be that the poly liner in my tank has failed?....Hence the rust from the steel? Also...I'm curious as to which of my efforts caused the "slamming" /cavitation action to cease?

I bought the house last Spring and since the house and sprinkler system run off this pump/tank set-up....I've planned to upgrade the tank anyway to something larger.

I'm open to suggestions, comments and advice.

Thanks in advance!

GLH

Speedbump

Reaction score
My advice would be to replace the tank if it's that old. I've never seen a 203 last that long. I would also remove the check valve in the house. If after you remove it you notice the pump running when it shouldn't be, you will know there were problems down the well that someone masked with the above ground check valve. That check valve should not be there for numerous reasons and looks like a band aid to me.

bob...

GLH

Reaction score
Much obliged! I did decide to pull the pump for PM...I went ahead and removed the built-in plastic check valve located in the top of the pump assy and added on a brass Clayton-Mark check valve. I'll take your advice and remove the one next to the tank in the basement. I had wondered why it might have been installed.

GLH

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks