Well-X-Trol tank needs re pressurizing every 3 or 4 years

Users who are viewing this thread

jjinatx

Reaction score
I have a 22 year old well trol 80 gallon tank on my rainwater system. It's been connected to a few different shallow well pumps over the years. Over the last 10 years or so, I've had to drain the tank and re pressurize it 3 times because the pump was short cycling. The tank is not leaking water. This last time I re pressurized it, I replaced the schraeder valve and added a metal cap with a rubber seal in case the problem is a very very slight air leak.

Is it normal to have to re pressurize a bladder tank every so often?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Is it normal to have to re pressurize a bladder tank every so often?

Yes it is. The diaphragm has a tear and the tank needs to be replaced. Diaphragms tear from going up and down every time the pump cycles on and off. It is like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. You got all the good out of that tank. I would have thought it would last longer on a rain catchment system, as they don't get that much use. Stopping the pump from cycling will make your tank last longer, as well as many other benefots like constant pressure, smaller pressure tank, etc.

jjinatx

Reaction score
Yes it is. The diaphragm has a tear and the tank needs to be replaced. Diaphragms tear from going up and down every time the pump cycles on and off. It is like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. You got all the good out of that tank. I would have thought it would last longer on a rain catchment system, as they don't get that much use. Stopping the pump from cycling will make your tank last longer, as well as many other benefots like constant pressure, smaller pressure tank, etc.

I suspect there is a a problem with the diaphragm. I guess it's just acting like a bladderless tank with a trapped air pocket. Will be replacing the tank eventually.

-jj

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Watch that video. It shows how to solve the problem that caused the tear in the bladder to begin with.

Some people will try to tell you that cycling the pump on and off doesn't cause the tank diaphragm to fail. A diaphragm going up and down with every pump cycle will break a diaphragm just like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. Only and idiot would not understand that.

Last edited:

Midriller

Reaction score
At 22 years of service that tank has served you well. Retire it and replace with comparable tank and relax for 22 more years

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah 22 years is pretty good. But it could have been more if it hadn't been through the max number of cycles it could stand. And it could have been much less. They also do not make pressure tanks as good as in the past. The cheaper the tank is constructed, the more you need a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks