Well won't maintain pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Malars2

Reaction score
I posted last week about having problems with my pressure switch on my new well pump and tank set up. I found out that the problem was actually the electrical connection between the control box and the well. I have since replaced the wire, and I thought all of my problems were solved. I was unfortunately wrong.

I installed a new 52 gallon pressure tank with a 40/60 pressure switch. When I turned the well on, the pressure increased quickly but never got past 45 psi. I adjusted the pressure switch to 30/50 thinking that would help solve the problem. It did not solve the problem and the well continued to run. I then decided to switch to a low pressure 20/40 switch think that this would help the problem. I have been adjusting the psi in my tank accordingly, but now the well will only get to a pressure of 30 psi. If the pressure switch does miraculously need to be engaged, the well tank begins to drain immediately. I assume that it should be maintaining pressure in the tank even when the pump is off. I'm at a loss for what my next step should be. Any help would once again be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Malars2

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the set up in case that helps.

Attachments

• 61289134-8A02-4038-AC43-A61C3605B746.jpeg
    61289134-8A02-4038-AC43-A61C3605B746.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 115

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you have a pitless adapter. If so, lift the well cap, look and listen as the pump pumps.

To look down the casing, you can direct the bright sun down the well for lighting, or use a bright flashlight at night.

Malars2

Reaction score
Should I be looking for a leak above the water line? It’s running continuously, so it won’t be a problem to check it. I was worried that there is a leak from the well to the house, but that would require some excavation of the line to determine that. Could a leak in the poly pipe below the water line cause an issue?

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I be looking for a leak above the water line? It’s running continuously, so it won’t be a problem to check it.
You check above the water line first, because it is easiest.

One potential leak spot is at the gasket at the pitless adapter. That one you could see or hear.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Turn off the power to the pump. If you have a check valve above ground and the pressure leaks off, then leak is after the check valve. If the pressure does not leak off, the leak is before the check valve. Either way you should remove any above ground check valves, as it could be a reason for the leak from the pressure spikes.

Also, don't let the pump run unless you are using water. Turn it off when not in use or you will cause more problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks