Well with yard hydrant, w/o pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

WindyRidge

Reaction score
I installed a 3/4 hp goulds pump in a well, that just runs to a sanitary yard hydrant (for now).

What happens if I turn on the pump and close the yard hydrant? Will it continue to build pressure until some gives? Or will it shutoff at some point?

I have not been sure what would happen, so have been opening the yard hydrant, then turning on the power to the well. The well will be used to supply water to a cistern, so current method (open faucet, turn on generator, turn off generator, close faucet) works, but it would be nice to be able to close/open the faucet with the pump running occasionally if it would shut off automatically. I realize pump cycling will shorten the life, but this will be used very minimally, so I just concerned about "will the pump shut off, or continue until something gives"... :)

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No the pump will not shut off and in about 10 minutes will melt down to nothing. You are doing the right thing by having a faucet open before you turn on the pump. I normally do not even recommend a faucet at all when there is no pressure tank/pressure switch, which are used to make the pump come on and off automatically when you open or close a faucet. Most common is just to leave the faucet open or remove it, and use a float switch in the cistern to turn the pump on and off as needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks