Well with public sewer

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Kuchcinski

Reaction score
If you have a well with a public sewer, how do they know how much to charge you for sewer?

And how do they even know to charge you?

When I had my water connected, my water and sewer charges were on the same bill, the sewer charge being based off of water usage

But what if I never had the water turned on? What if I just had a well installed? How would the county
even know to charge me for sewer?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The municipality sets a flat rate for each residential unit on their system.

When you consider water usage for irrigation, washing cars, etc., basing the sewer charges on water use does not make a lot of sense.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some towns here in CT, Bethel for example, put a meter on your system to determine how much water you use.

Reach4

Reaction score
It can vary for different places. For a less common example, http://www.mahoningcountyoh.gov/534/Billing says
If your home is served by well water, your bill is derived from a formula that considers the number of persons in your household multiplied by the average number of gallons of water a person uses in a day. This figure is then multiplied by the current user charge.

Example: 2 Persons x $18.14 = $36.28 + $7.25 (fixed monthly rate) total = $45.53

If you are on a well and the number of persons in your home has changed recently or is not accurate, please contact the Mahoning County Sanitary Engineering Department.​

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
In our area if you have a well and not a city water meter you get charged the max sewer and run off charges. If you have a city meter they charge according to usage. They will not accept a meter reading from a well.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brian, I think what you will find is that if you ask 5, 10, or 25 of us you will get that many different answers to your question. This is something that every AHJ will come up with their own answer to.

The only thing that matters to YOU, is what your sewer utility will charge you. The only way to find out is to ask them, not us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks