Well Water yeild? Gallons per N converted to GPM

Users who are viewing this thread

bewing

Reaction score
I have purchased a house that had an exsisting well and am trying to figure out the flow rate of the well. Not the flow rate of the pump but the actual flow rate of the supply to the well. I have the original Well construction report when the well was drilled, but there is a value on there that I do not know what it means? It says the yeild = 400 gallons per N. Can I figure out how many GPM the well produces?

I am trying to figure out if the well would be able to support another house (2 total). The rest of the specs are

Total Depth of Well: 160 Ft
Statis Water Level: 90 Ft. below land surface
Diameter of Bore Hole: 6.00 IN.

Thanks

bewing

Reaction score
N is either another line, a misprint or an H for hour.

That would make sense. But the forms are required by Arkansas to be filled out for ever well that is drilled, and every one I have ever seen always as it stated as "Gallons per N"?
Thanks for the response.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Ballvalve suggests "Ask Mother Arkansas"! Good idea, Contact the local water regulator or Health Department what "Gallons per N" means. I'm a National Ground Water Certified Master Well Contractor and it's not a term that I have ever heard! My first thought would be that it means 400 gpm per hour but I don't understant the "N".

By the information you supplied: If the pump is installed 10 ft. from the bottom of the well you will have approximately 90 gallons of usable storage water in the well regardless of the well flow. Under normal usage this would be enough at any given time for two homes.

The only way to accurately test the well for it's current flow is to temporarly install a larger pump and pump the well until it starts sucking air, then throttle the pump back with a control valve at the well until it pumps steady, then measure the flow with a flow meter or bucket and stop watch.

The other way is to remove the pump and test the well with an air compressor. This is a little more complicated!

bewing

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help. I haven't been able to get ahold of the state yet, but am still trying to see what there system of measurment is. Thanks again

bewing

Reaction score
Just to update. I contacted "mother Arkansas" to find out what the 'N' designation was. I was told that the form is filled out electronically and the well drillers are asked how many gallons per and then a 'yes', 'no' question if it is per minute. Then on the form it all shows up on one line and ends up looking like "400 gallons per N". So basically it means 400 gallons per hour since they answered 'No' to the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks