Well water treatment tweaking for cost savings

Users who are viewing this thread

tunerX

Reaction score
From all of the power of google... 1PPM of iron should require .64PPM of chlorine and 1PPM of H2S should require 2.2PPM of chlorine.

Before treatment

16 GPG hardness
.5 iron
PH 7.6
3 PPM H2S

This leads me to believe that I would require 6.92PPM (7) of chlorine to treat my well water.

Treatment 1 - Chlorine pellet feeder at 8PPM into 40 gallon contact tank.
Treatment 2 - Carbon, Copper/Zinc canisters with pre filter and post filter (4 stage).
Treatment 3 - 40K grain softener set at default 20GPG.

After treatment, farthest fixture from house feed.
0 hardness
0 iron
PH 7.4
0 PPM H2S
0 Chlorine

I am feeding in 8PPM of chlorine and measure 8PPM of chlorine at the outlet of the retention tank. Since I have a retention/dwell tank can I lower the PPM (my next available setting is 4PPM)? I don't want to put in extra chlorine just to waste the next filter to pull it out.

What order should I be tweaking the settings in and how long should I wait before I tweak another setting? I figure, I should drop the chlorine first then measure at my sample port after the filters and before the softener. I feel that if 4PPM of chlorine will yield 0 iron, 0 chlorine, and 0 stink, then I would be good to drop the softener straight to 16GPG.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am feeding in 8PPM of chlorine and measure 8PPM of chlorine at the outlet of the retention tank. Since I have a retention/dwell tank can I lower the PPM (my next available setting is 4PPM)? I don't want to put in extra chlorine just to waste the next filter to pull it out.
Not familiar with your system, but it sure seems to me that the answer is yes.

Testing the iron after the softener is not so informative, since the softener would remove iron too.

Do you really test H2S? That is not often done.

tunerX

Reaction score
Not familiar with your system, but it sure seems to me that the answer is yes.

Testing the iron after the softener is not so informative, since the softener would remove iron too.

Do you really test H2S? That is not often done.

You answered my last question I posted in 2013. It took 7 years to get an answer. The H2S measurement was from a long time ago. Now I just use my nose.

This is a newer setup. I went from the peristaltic pump to a pellet system and don't use the green sand.

https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/chlorine-pellet-feeder/dry-pellet-in-line-chlorinator-model-400.html

That is the chlorine feeder.

So I am correct in assuming that I should have a drop in chlorine PPM? I think the system may be releasing more chlorine than I have it set for.

I plumbed in sample ports after every treatment step so I can measure if each component is still working.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I am correct in assuming that I should have a drop in chlorine PPM? I think the system may be releasing more chlorine than I have it set for.
I think yes. It seems to me that the calibration from pellets to ppm would be hard. If it's doing the job, chlorine will be consumed. I am glad its doing the job.
I plumbed in sample ports after every treatment step so I can measure if each component is still working.
Wise.

tunerX

Reaction score
I think yes. It seems to me that the calibration from pellets to ppm would be hard. If it's doing the job, chlorine will be consumed. I am glad its doing the job.

Wise.

Yeah, the injector isn't a complex system and lacks the granular control of the peristaltic pump. I don't think that system is meant for 40/60 well pumps and power surges. I replaced the chlorine injection pump twice and the flow switch three times. My last system was 7 years old and at the end I ended up running everything on a sine wave correcting UPS. I also cleaned out the solution tank once a year because I happen to be me and that is what I do.

I will lower to it's 4PPM setting to see what I get. The green sand filter works but for my numbers chlorine and carbon seem to do the job just fine. The only backwash system I have now is the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks