Well water treatment design help, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

typer339

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a system for my well that feeds three bathrooms for 6 people. I've done a ton of research but the further I look into my options, the more I'm getting overwhelmed by it all. I was hoping someone here could help me boil it down as I seem to be going in circles. I'm good with spending some extra money if it means limiting maintenance or extending longevity of the system. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

What I'm dealing with:
Iron---6.17PPM
Manganese---0.031PPM
Hardness---330PPM
pH---7.47
TDS---300PPM
Turbidity---19.38NTU

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a system for my well that feeds three bathrooms for 6 people. I've done a ton of research but the further I look into my options, the more I'm getting overwhelmed by it all. I was hoping someone here could help me boil it down as I seem to be going in circles. I'm good with spending some extra money if it means limiting maintenance or extending longevity of the system. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

What I'm dealing with:
Iron---6.17PPM
Manganese---0.031PPM
Hardness---330PPM
pH---7.47
TDS---300PPM
Turbidity---19.38NTU
look into a chlorination system

Skyjumper

Reaction score
6ppm is a lot of iron. you will need a dedicated iron filter, and it will require regular maintenance. Air injection, or "AIO" will not work for you so don't even try it no matter what the salesman says. Others here can advise you on chlorine or H2O2 systems I don't have experience with them, but from what I gather you will have to go one of those routes. Try to get something based on a Clack WS1 valve since you will have to take it apart and clean it often, and Clack is the best valve for maintenance. that goes for both your Fe filter and your softener which will still get some residual iron.

have you gotten a quote from a local water guy?

EAJ

Reaction score
What kind of flow is your well pump capable of, and what would the flow requirements be in the house(any high flow fixtures). Typically, I like the idea of a chlorination system followed by a backwashing Greensand Plus filter, a softener, followed by a UV filter. Sizing really depends on your flow requirements.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Anything past 5 ppm and no bacterial issues should consider hydrogen peroxide injection. A small contact tank can take a considerable load off the iron reduction filter. A softener would be recommended due to the high hardness.

Last edited:

typer339

Reaction score
6ppm is a lot of iron. you will need a dedicated iron filter, and it will require regular maintenance. Air injection, or "AIO" will not work for you so don't even try it no matter what the salesman says. Others here can advise you on chlorine or H2O2 systems I don't have experience with them, but from what I gather you will have to go one of those routes. Try to get something based on a Clack WS1 valve since you will have to take it apart and clean it often, and Clack is the best valve for maintenance. that goes for both your Fe filter and your softener which will still get some residual iron.

have you gotten a quote from a local water guy?

Yeah, local guy recommended an ozone system which sounds great but the minute I hear somebody launching into what's obviously a sales pitch, my guard tends to go up. Is an ozone system even capable of handling the amount of iron we have?

ditttohead

Reaction score
An ozone system can easily handle 6 ppm of iron if it is done correctly. What kind of ozone? Ozone can be done in dozens of ways. If it is misapplied, it can make a mess of things.

Cowdogs

Reaction score
What factors would make you pick ozone vs. peroxide injection?
I have 2 ppm iron and no bacterial issues if that matters.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Cost, complexity, other contaminants, dealer preference, quantity of water used, etc... no real definite answer. H2o2 is typically cheaper and simpler for low use applications. Can you post a water report? Application, pipe size, estimated water usage?

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, local guy recommended an ozone system which sounds great but the minute I hear somebody launching into what's obviously a sales pitch, my guard tends to go up. Is an ozone system even capable of handling the amount of iron we have?
IMO no. what color is your water in a glass? do you have a sulfur smell in your water? are the backs of your toilets just orange stained or are they also "slimy"? How many people are in the home? if your looking for a very low maintenance system, you should consider chlorine injection, followed by a large retention tank, followed by a carbon tank. It's a slightly greater upfront cost and takes a little bit to get it initially dialed in, but after that it basically runs itself. you'll need a softener after the carbon tank as well because you have significantly hard water at nearly 20 (GPG) grains per gallon.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
What factors would make you pick ozone vs. peroxide injection?
I have 2 ppm iron and no bacterial issues if that matters.
at only 2 ppm you're a good candidate for an AIO3 (ozone) unit. If the raw water never smells, then you can probably even get by with an AIO (air) unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks