Well water temperature versus softener efficiency

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I keep reading specs where they make mention of the inbound water temperature but they don't go into detail. Am I doing a disservice to my softener efficiency by insulating my tanks and pipes to stop them from sweating?

I'm contemplating not insulating the fiberglass contact tank that holds about 20 gallons and the 10 foot run of 1-1/4" PVC pipe to the iron filter. Being that they are non-metallic, they don't sweat as profusely as the 1" copper pipe after the iron filter that I have already insulated. Granted, at this time of year there is not as much outdoor water use so time will tell how badly they will sweat.

I have ordered but have not yet received zip on jackets for the iron filter and softener 10x54 tanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking that the main thing is that colder water does not need as many gpm for backwash. I don't know if there is an effect on softener ion replacement during service. I would think the cold would make the micronizers draw air better.

However for the contact tank, I would think that higher temperature would make for quicker oxygen reaction rate. They often cite about a doubling of reaction rates for chemical reactions for each 10°C increase.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The micronizer is upstream of everything so there is no increasing the temperature of inbound water at the micronizer by not insulating downstream.

I have read that the temperature of water affects the oxygen reaction as in some cases iron will react and precipitate in a water heater thus not insulating the contact tank might help with iron removal.

My question however was more on the effect of temperature on ion exchange and regeneration.

The equipment is down in my crawlspace which has a painted concrete floor so profuse sweating will puddle on the floor. There is also the potential for black mold to form on the tanks and PVC piping over time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks