Well Water Stops & Starts?

Users who are viewing this thread

roozoo

Reaction score
I have been having a problem where my water sometimes (almost always anymore) stops flowing for about 5 to 10 seconds then back on. I am not sure what type or size the pump is. I know we have a 20 gallon Pressure Tank and 30 on/50 off Pressure Switch that is new as I replaced it today. I have checked the pressure in the tank (around 30-31 psi). Anyone have any clues as to my next step? The pump is about 12 years old maybe it is going?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The air pressure setting has to be 1-2 psi less than your 30 psi cut-in or the tank empties before the switch calls for the pump to come on. If not, that makes the water stop flowing before the pump comes on. You set the air pressure with no water in the tank. Try tighetening the tall screw's nut a full turn, that increases the cut in and out settings and will get the switch above the 31 lbs of air pressure. In other words rasie the cut in setting. Thta's instead of removing air from the tank.

Another cause is a blocked switch nipple. If it is blocked with rust/dirt, the switch lags in seeing the pressure change and causes the pump to come on and shut off after it actually should.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

roozoo

Reaction score
No Water Now

Just a few minutes ago we lost water all together. The pressure in the tank has been the same for the past 5 or so years and the water has worked fine. Also I have installed a new Pressure Switch a few days ago. Is there anyway it could be the Control Box or do you think I am looking at a new pump? It is a submersible pump so I imagine that it will be a major pain to replace having to pull it up.
If I decide to replace the pump is there anyway maybe I can go with a jetpump and just leave the old one alone? If so can I use the existing lines and have it pull it through the old pump or will I need to install a foot valve and new lines to the bottom? If I need to install new lines how far from the bottom should the foot valve be?

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
First of all set the tank up like Gary suggested. Then try to find out some facts on your well. Water level, pumping capacity etc. If it was drilled not too long ago, your state or county water regulators should have a well log. If it turns out that the well don't pump too many gallons per minute, you may be using more water than it can provide causing the water level to go down to the inlet of the pump. Which stops it from pumping. If that's the case, maybe you can lower the pump. The trick is to be armed with info before doing a bunch of things that won't help, like changing the switch.

Oh, forget the jet pump thing. It won't work.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks