Well Water Smell Hell

Users who are viewing this thread

xwraysmith

Reaction score
Needing some advise. We purchased our house in Colorado 3 years ago and a new well was dug. We live in southern Colorado in an area that was mined for coal. Smell was awful ... still is... We purchased a water filtration system to the tune of $4000+ That worked beautifully for about 3 months...we called the company for service and they replaced the media...to the tune of $1000. That lasted about another 3 months. I finally received instructions on how to change the media myself...but found out the media is the crazy cost. Instructions they gave me Tank 1: 1.5 cf of media Katolx Lite, 25lb undergravel Tank 2: 1 cf activated charcoal, .5 cf mixed media...

The well feeds into a cistern, then to the house. We don't have a aerator in our cistern which I've been researching...but I'm very ignorant to these things. Retired..but learning. I bought some Well Safe chlorination treatment...(pellets) but in reading cautions...it says it can cause residue to kill your pump..(HELL) I don't need any more problems.

Some neighbors that have been here a while say after many years it finally went away. Other neighbors on other sides of the area, recently dug a new well, with no smell! (DAMN)

We do not drink it. We bath, wash clothes, etc. but the smell permeates the house something terrible. If we are having guests over I make a rule that we don't bathe, wash clothes, etc

I appreciate any information you can give me. (Yes I'm looking for a cheap quick fix...a girl can dream)

Reach4

Reaction score
I understand that you have an H2S smell. What other things are going on?

I think H2O2 injection can deal with H2S, and as a prelude to Katalox Light, it should help a lot.

For cheap and fast, try sanitizing your well. I don't know how long the effect will last. But since things are warming up, you may want to consider it.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well sanitizing write-up. It uses liquid chlorine bleach, vinegar, and more. Fast is relative. I would allocate maybe 26 hours, but I am slow. You are not doing stuff all of the time yourself. A lot of the time, you are recirculating.

One thing to watch for with KL: it needs a fair amount of backwash GPM. Figure maybe 8 to 10 gpm for a 10 inch diameter tank. Multiply that by 1.44 for a 12 inch tank. When you changed your media, was it clumped up? If you backwash KL at a sufficient rate, I expect the rate will be too high for carbons.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks