Well Water Results - Need Recommendations Please

Users who are viewing this thread

Trevor Lawrence

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently been having health issues and am trying to eliminate as many toxins as I can from every source. I normally drank my well water, but decided to have it tested by our local county. I have been drinking Evian for the last few weeks until I received the results and can hopefully find the best solution.

Can you guys help me determine what my house needs based on these results? I would like a whole house system with drinking water. We only have 1 bathroom. Im trying to make sure the water is as healthy as possible without removing all the good stuff. I am very mechanically inclined and can do plumbing.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
20190315_145223.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I see nothing bad. Less than 2 grains of hardness. You could get a reverse osmosis system for drinking, and maybe get a polishing filter as the last stage. That puts some calcium and magnesium back in.

6.6 is a little lower than average, but I think 6.5 to 8.5 is considered OK.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you want to be totally sure you may want to get the hose water tested rather than directly from the well. Looking at your water report you have aggressive water that may dissolve some of the metals from your plumbing so your copper, lead and other metals may be higher in the house than your well.

If you don't want to deal with that a simple RO with a remineralizing filter would be a good solution.

Last edited:

Atomic1

Reaction score
The OP's test report is a relatively basic report that says nothing about pesticides. If you have stupid neighbors who use Truegreen or nearby farms using glyphosphate, there are tests for those compounds. That said, given the general negligence of pesticide use in our country, testing report or not, and you are trying to narrow down health issues, I would look into a RO unit with remineralization capability at your sink for drinking and cooking.

Drinking Evian out of plastic bottles is not always the best option either. I have seen plenty of studies showing how much plastic ends up in the water from the bottles.

Good luck, eliminating toxins from every source is a slippery slope....especially when you start looking at flame retardants in furniture (beds and couches especially)

Trevor Lawrence

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow response. I really appreciate everyones time and help!

The water test was done from an outside faucet. The faucet is a newer faucet i installed.

One of the main health issues I am having is from glyphosphate (Round Up) I am gluten intolerant. My neighbor actually sprays within 50 feet of my well (its in my front yard)

I have a big crawl space directly beneath my kitchen sink where my water heater is. I have room for a system down there and can redo all the plumbing., even going to the kitchen faucet.

We basically have a Kitchen Faucet, Ice Maker, Dishwasher, Bathroom Faucet and Shower Head. I currently have a filter on the shower head, and have access to all the plumbing in the bathroom. The majority of the house is plumbed in PEX.

Can anyone recommend a good RO System with filter? I would like something with good quality parts, that i could replace if needed. I don't want any issues other than general maintenance. This health journey has cost me a small fortune, but water is the most important. Also, is there any cheaper, natural ways to raise the PH slightly (0.5 to neutral) for my drinking water?

Once again, I can't thank everyone enough!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, is there any cheaper, natural ways to raise the PH slightly (0.5 to neutral) for my drinking water?
There is a common treatment used for raising ph for a whole house by passing the water through a big tank of crushed food-grade limestone (calcite). You could use that method. It raises the hardness however. I don't know if it would raise hardness enough to then warrant a softener. Ideally the calcite backwashes, but there are many that do OK with one that does not backwash. The calcite is refilled from a bag into the tank through a port after some number of months.

If you are talking about raising the Ph of the RO water, there is a smaller version of that called a remineralization filter that treats the RO water for better drinking.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
If i was replacing my RO system, I would consider a quick change system such as Omipure CL series.

It is always a hassel removing multiple screw on filter cartridge sump housings as well as the RO housing, cleaning and sanitizing each, and hoping here are no leaks afterward from disturbing the fittings connecting it all together.

The CL cartridges come as sealed units and make it a quick and simple matter to twist and pull away each old cartridge from its socket, with it equally simple and quick to install each replacement.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I mistakenly recommended the Omnipure CL-series based on the photo and description from the Omnipure Residential web page. Ditttohead's recommendation of the Q-series is the correct series and the system I thought I was referring to.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I am working n a "L" series version right now. This is a lot harder due to the head design but I think I will have a working prototype before the WQA in late April. I already make the E and ELF series units. The "Q" is popular due to its simplicity, reasonable cost and simple design but the o-ring in the head instead of on the cartridge has always been an annoyance. Changing the o-ring is not the easiest task. The "L", and "E" series feature the o-ring on the filters so the o-ring is changed every time the filters are changed.

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have a RO system from The Perfect Water. It's the Home Master Artesian with the permeate pump. I was able to install it myself and its been trouble free. It also adds minerals to the water which I found provides better water than the old culligan system I had before. Ditttohead will probably jump all over me because he does not like this type of system, but it works well for me and you'll see thousands of good reviews for the system on their portal.

Sorry to hear that your neighbor is potentially misapplying in an area with wells. You should consider getting involved with https://www.beyondpesticides.org/ They do have a lot of good info on pesticide exposure.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I just think their design is a mess. We make lots of this design, miserable to service, lots of potential leak spots, just not a design that I like, especially considering how many better designs that are out there. Each design has its pros and cons, this design has to many cons. It works as all basic RO designs do, it is the "don't spend $4 on a bracket that I dont really understand. We do this design for a few customers who have absolute limitations and this is the only way we can do it... Thousands of reviews on XXX... means nothing since they self generate positive reviews for the right price. This is an old article... but do you really think much has changed? https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawo...-problem-is-now-worse-than-ever/#647fedd57c0f

Bannerman

Reaction score
This is an old article... but do you really think much has changed?
Even if the reviews were legit, how many people have experience, knowledge or understanding of the product they are writing about, so as to provide an informed, qualified and objective review?

To the inexperienced, the product they purchased may appear to be the same as other similar units which are more expensive. If they bought purely on price, they may not appreciate features, benefits, increased reliability or better design offered in other units, which justify a higher price.

Atomic1

Reaction score
lol, ok guys. Got it. No other opinions allowed. We must all buy from impactwaterproducts.com.

Trevor Lawrence

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's, I really appreciate everyone's help. I have contacted Impact Water Products. They are helping me, by researching the best system for me to handle glyphosphate (Round Up). Customer service has been great, they are putting me in contact with a local dealer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks