Well water pump blow water through the PRV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Dezall

Reaction score
During a recent cold spell, My 3/4 Horse Power 57 Litre Stainless Steel Shallow Well Jet Pump . now blows water through the pressure relief valve but I still have pressure in the house. Is it safe to run like that? The pressure gauge red lines.

!home-plumber-34-horse-power-57-litre-stainless-steel-shallow-well-jet-pump-home-hardware-a.jpg

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the gauge froze it can no longer be trusted but that would not cause the pressure relief valve to release. Most likely the pressure switch froze.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you get a garden hose thread pressure gauge, you can figure out if the pressure to the house is too high (bad pressure switch), or the pressure relief valve is defective.

Thomas Dezall

Reaction score
thx all. i dont know if i can buy anew switch for this unit....might need to replace entire unit as its sold as one i think.

Reach4

Reaction score
isnt the prv an unscrewable type and i can buy another one?
I don't know. Show us a photo of your relief valve.

But still, knowing the pressure at the house with a different gauge might tell us that the PRV is doing its job by releasing water at 75 psi. It might show that the pressure switch is doing its job by turning off the pump when the pressure reaches 50 (or whatever it is supposed to be set for).

A GHT pressure gauge could go on a hose bib, a laundry tap, or the drain for the water heater.

Thomas Dezall

Reaction score
thx . when the pump is turned on , the pumps runs constantly, and the water blows constantly out the prv as well. Incidentally , the plumbing froze up a few days before this happened, i changed copper elbows, and then , when i turned the pump on ,and it started blowing water thru the prv valve. also, amidst all this , i still have water pressure in the house , while the pump is running.

Reach4

Reaction score
Show us a photo of your relief valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Start with a new pressure gauge since freezing likely damaged the existing one. Also replace the pressure switch. It does not have to be the same brand.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump cannot even build 75 PSI. The pressure relief valve froze like everything else. You might be able to tighten the adjustment on the pressure relief valve to stop the leaking. Those kind of pumps are not made to last long anyway. They want those kind of pumps to be replaced every year or two. Would be much better to have a good jet pump like a Goulds J10S and a PK1A constant pressure control kit, then you wouldn't have to even think about your pump for 30-40 years, as long as you don't let it freeze. Lol!

Jet pump and PK1A.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks