Well water pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

TimPicard

Reaction score
Pump turns on at 25 psi, turns off at 30. I've screwed down the cut-off nearly nut nearly all the way down, and no change.

What gives - bad switch?

Reach4

Reaction score
The pressure switch may be too far/restricted (pipe-wise) from the pressure tank.

Move the pressure switch to the pressure tank.

Bad switch is a possibility, but I expect pressure switch location is the main thing.

Your pressure tank could be going bad also. So as that happens, the separation becomes more significant.

TimPicard

Reaction score
The pressure switch may be too far/restricted (pipe-wise) from the pressure tank.

Move the pressure switch to the pressure tank.

I appreciate your quick response.

the with is at the base of the tank. Are you also suggesting it might be clogged, or at least reduced??

TimPicard

Reaction score
I should also add the current set-up is as the house was built, 20 years ago ...

Reach4

Reaction score
How long does the pump run at minimum?

The thought is that as the pump turns on, the pressure tank is not sucking up water as fast as it should, and the actual pressure is rising faster than the gauge responds.

How long since you set the air precharge on the tank? Air precharge is always measured and set with the water pressure near zero.

Is this a submersible pump (down the well)?

Water Worker® Vertical Pressurized Well Tank at Menards® are good economy tanks, but a Well-X-Trol has some differences that make them longer lasting.

Last edited:

TimPicard

Reaction score
How long does the pump run at minimum?

The thought is that as the pump turns on, the pressure tank is not sucking up water as fast as it should, and the actual pressure is rising faster than the gauge responds.

How long since you set the air precharge on the tank? Air precharge is always measured and set with the water pressure near zero.
Pump runs for maybe five seconds, then turns off (at 30 psi). The tank registers 38 PSI - with is 20/40

Reach4

Reaction score
When you measured 38 psi air pressure, what did the water pressure read?

Turn off the pump. Open a faucet. Then measure the air pressure.

This is part of what you do before replacing the pressure tank, because you hold out hope that there is something you can do without spending the money and effort on a new tank.

You can sometimes make the bad tank limp along while you are taking steps to replace the tank. The workaround is to add air. But since that air is not separated from the water due to the failed diaphragm, it is only going to help for a while.

Note that if your current tank is 32 gallon or less, it will have a 1 inch pipe to it. Above that, 1.25.

Last edited:

TimPicard

Reaction score
When you measured 38 psi air pressure, what did the water pressure read?

Turn off the pump. Open a faucet. Then measure the air pressure.

This is part of what you do before replacing the pressure tank, because you hold out hope that there is something you can do without spending the money and effort on a new tank.

You can sometimes make the bad tank limp along while you are taking steps to replace the tank. The workaround is to add air. But since that air is not separated from the water due to the failed diaphragm, it is only going to help for a while.

Note that if your current tank is 32 gallon or less, it will have a 1 inch pipe to it. Above that, 1.25.
I'll follow these steps and reply - thanks again for everything!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks