Well water pressure drops to 0 during water softener regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"At the set point of 30psi, you will hear the switch lockout and pressure will drop like a rock."

That is because you have 30 PSI air in the tank. When the pressure drops to 30 and the diaphragm hits the bottom of the tank the pressure will drop from 30 to zero instantly. That is one way to know you have 30 PSI air in the tank without having to use a car tire gauge, but it has nothing to do with the CSV.

Toni03103

Reaction score
I replaced the pressure switch 40/60psi (installed one without the lever) reduced the pressure of the tank from 38psi to 35psi.

Now when I flush a toilet and have a faucet running at the same time pressure drops to 35psi and then climbs back up. It appears to be ok, but why wouldn't the pressure switch kick in once the pressure drops to 40psi, instead when pressure drops to 35psi it starts climbing back up, but I don't hear the pressure switch click on to build pressure, the only time the switch clicks is when it reaches 60psi

Reach4

Reaction score
I replaced the pressure switch 40/60psi (installed one without the lever) reduced the pressure of the tank from 38psi to 35psi.

Now when I flush a toilet and have a faucet running at the same time pressure drops to 35psi and then climbs back up. It appears to be ok, but why wouldn't the pressure switch kick in once the pressure drops to 40psi, instead when pressure drops to 35psi it starts climbing back up, but I don't hear the pressure switch click on to build pressure, the only time the switch clicks is when it reaches 60psi
The switch clicked to turn on the pump. So is the clicking on occurring at 40 psi, or is it occurring at maybe 36 psi? Consider taking a movie of the pressure gauge that also shows the uncovered switch contacts, or records the sound of the click.

A clogged nipple can slow the response of the pressure switch. Your pressure switch or pressure gauge could be off. Or does the SQE pump start so slowly that while the pressure switch clicked on at 40, the pump took a while to deliver more water than you were using.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I completely forget this was an SQ type pump. Even with a regular pressure switch that type pump takes 5 seconds to get up to speed. Just set the air pressure in the tank lower to give some water while waiting on the pump to get going. With a 40/60 switch use about 25-30 PSI air in the tank.

Toni03103

Reaction score
Thank you Valveman and Reach4. I will set the pressure lower, it is currently set at 35PSI. Now it makes sense to me since you suggest lowering the pressure in tank. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thank you so much!

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you Valveman and Reach4. I will set the pressure lower, it is currently set at 35PSI. Now it makes sense to me since you suggest lowering the pressure in tank. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
If you don't get stutters in pressure with the precharge at 35, I would not lower the air precharge further. The more you lower the precharge, the more the diaphragm has to maybe stretch at the high pressure cutoff point.

Here is an option for you: If you loosen the nut on the small spring enough to take the compression off of the spring, you will lower the cut-in pressure without affecting the cut-out pressure. This lowers the differential (maybe 1 or 2 psi). Then turn the nut on the big spring CW to put the cut-out back up where it was. That is about 0.35 turns CW for each psi you want the cut-in and cut-out both to increase.

The point is that as the water gets used, the pressure switch kicks on a little earlier. This in not necessary, but may be advantageous.

Last edited:

viper1

Reaction score
I don't recommend lowering the tank pressure any more. You will get to a point of unacceptable indoor performance. Rather, I would slightly tune the pressure switch on 'cut-in". I do this all the time. Look up the directions. Contrary to "across-the-line" starts on a pump, your modulated pump system will not be harmed with this shorter cycle.

Actually, if you look up settings, you might be able to tune the ramp rate of your pump. I work with CNC VFDs on the daily and this sort of tuning is common.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks