Well water ph question

Users who are viewing this thread

Truckermatt

Reaction score
New user here.

I have well water shared with next door house. Well pumps. I have an old acid neutralizer (water care) brand and matching softener. I am replacing the softener and wanted to know when size to get for neutralizer ( which is leaking a little )
This was all in the house when I bought it 5 years ago.

Question is last year I had a water lab test my water for baseline results. And I know I have hard water but also have a ph of 6.46

When I used 2 different brand test kits I came up with 8.5 ph both before and after the neutralizer

How can the ph change it a year?

Any thoughts

Reach4

Reaction score
How can the ph change it a year?
If the water is shallow, there could be effects of changes at the surface. Otherwise maybe your test kit is old or something? What pH test kits are you using?

That is a surprising swing, as you know.

Time for a new test of your water? I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ for a lab test. Is that who you used last time?
If you care about the coliform test results, care needs to be taken in
sampling. http://www.ugra.org/pdfs/SamplingHandout.pdf is one description
of a method to avoid contaminating the sample.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
pH is easily influenced by many factors so changes in pH are common and expected. Agree on the test, time to get a new test done. if your water has changed... which water tends to do, a new test is a good idea.

NTL Labs or Kar Labs are both excellent options.

Truckermatt

Reaction score
The test from last October was from a certified lab. And the two recent tests were kits from a pool supply store.

I will probably just replace the neutralizer since they had one already I am sure they needed it

Bannerman

Reaction score
I will probably just replace the neutralizer since they had one already I am sure they needed it

If conditions have changed, you need an updated comprehensive test to know what you're dealing with now so as to establish the appropriate treatment methods currently required.

Once updated test results are received, post those and the results from last October as a comparison.

Edit to add: Since the well is shared, is each homeowner performing his own treatment or is there any treatment performed prior to distribution to the two homes?

Last edited:

Truckermatt

Reaction score
If conditions have changed, you need an updated comprehensive test to know what you're dealing with now so as to establish the appropriate treatment methods currently required.

Once updated test results are received, post those and the results from last October as a comparison.

Edit to add: Since the well is shared, is each homeowner performing his own treatment or is there any treatment performed prior to distribution to the two homes?

the neighbor who share the well with me has the same test result i have with my test kits... they only have a water softener in there house. but they say they cant drink the water because of the taste.

Truckermatt

Reaction score
Just an update, I just got the water tested for ph level at the lab. Last year the ph water 6.46 now the water tested at 7.33 ph

Reach4

Reaction score
Just an update, I just got the water tested for ph level at the lab. Last year the ph water 6.46 now the water tested at 7.33 ph
That's nice to see.

Nice. You might want to get your own pH test. I have Hydrion (O67) Urine & Saliva pH Paper 5.5-8.0. I found that it took a few seconds to get the color I expected rather than the right color being instantaneous.

You might find some test that is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks