Well water keeps flowing

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

So I have a well in northern michigan that was drilled in 2012. It's pretty typical setup with a depth of 128' and a 1/2hp submersible franklin pump. The pipe is the black poly type that comes into the floor of the basement which then goes to a 20 gal bladder tank with at 40/60 switch, then a shut off valve to the rest of the house.

I was going to replace a boiler drain by the switch, turned off the pump and hooked a hose to the sump pit and let the tank drain, but the water never stopped flowing. It had a good stream coming out for over an hour. Knowing this, I would really like to install a ball valve right away where the pipe comes from the basement floor because if there was a leak somewhere in the switch, relief valve or bladder tank, I have no way to shut off the water flow coming from the well.

The drill log says "static water level: Above grade (flowing)" and the Well Yield Test says Bailer and "pumping level 8.00 feet after 1.0 hours at 20GPM"

Here is a picture of the black poly pipe from the basement floor going to a stainless flex line and the bladder tank.

So is there any way to stop the water flow? Or do I plan on getting wet? I actually installed the stainless flex lines about 5 years ago, that was the first time I worked on the well and I turned the well off and took stuff apart, and didn't have any water flow. I replaced the plastic insert into the poly pipe with the steel one, and while I was pushing the fitting in, I tapped it with a 2x4 and a hammer to get it in farther, and water started gushing out. Luckily I was able to quickly attach the line and was finished. Not sure why tapping on the poly pipe would trigger water to flow out.

2017-02-06 09.25.14.jpg
2017-02-06 09.25.22.jpg

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A ball valve in that line is not really safe. If it gets closed the pump will deadhead and burn up. A check valve with a heavy spring would be better. A 3# spring should keep the water from flowing naturally, but won't stop water coming from the pump. Some Artesian wells need a drain on the casing lower than the electrical conduit to keep water from flowing in with the wire.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
A ball valve in that line is not really safe. If it gets closed the pump will deadhead and burn up. A check valve with a heavy spring would be better. A 3# spring should keep the water from flowing naturally, but won't stop water coming from the pump. Some Artesian wells need a drain on the casing lower than the electrical conduit to keep water from flowing in with the wire.

Good point about the ball valve. Usually in situations like this where it could cause an issue if it was accidentally moved, we take the handle off but keep it nearby if needed. Just wish I could figure out why it keeps flowing!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably has to do with the time of year, wet season or not. Your actually lucky to have excess. Some people would kill for what is draining off. I use to take the handles off and even take the handle with me. I would come back to a complaint of no water or burned pump and there would be a pair of vice grips clamped to the ball valve. LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks