Well Casing Diameter 6â€
Rock Well that was Drilled 30-40 years ago

Well Casing Material : Steel

Pressure Tank?
Bladder, 15 or 20 gallons, unknown PSI

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 30, off 50

Water Used For?
House, 2 bathrooms, there will be 2 ppl living there in a couple months....but otherwise unoccupied for over 2 1/2 to 3 years.

Problems Experienced

Water at all times but weak_____
Air in water: only after draining water heater
Pressure surging: again, only after draining water heater.
Discoloration/muddy water

**Havent listened for any of this or checked**
Pump makes clicking or buzzing sounds________
No Sounds______________
Pressure gauge reading________psi
Other____________________________________

Do you have, and know how to use
an Ampmeter and Voltmeter: yes I can

My grandfather owns a rental property that has been having water problems for some time now. The house has not been occupied for over two years now because of the following problems:
Water Discoloration: yellowish/cloudy/sometimes muddy looking--stains clothes...when I first moved in the washer had clumps of mud in it.
Sediment: In back of toilets, toilet bowls (no lines running down bowl), when put in a cup it suspends in water for at least 5 hours and its flaky and orange/red (I haven't been back to check it today)
Water Pressure: Low in sinks, alright in bathtubs and outside spickets.

The story is about 10 years ago the well started messing up on my great, great uncle and the well people said it was going dry (severe drought), so they attempted to drill another one. This time they said they couldn't find water (there is a branch 15 ft behind the spot and a creek 350 yards away) and sealed the newly dug well, putting him back on the other well. Whenever he passed, my grandfather bought the land and the home thinking it was an easy fix. WRONG.

He has replaced the foot valve on the well, had the water checked, and chlorine flushed the well and pipes (of course this was three and a half years ago). He hasn't had the money to do anything with it but I have some friends that are in a bind as far as finding somewhere to live in a short amount of time, so they have asked to rent the house. I told them about the dirty water, but when we went to check the place out all the water was running crystal clear. I figured it was a fluke so I turned on all the faucets, the bathtubs, and outside spickets--ALL CLEAR!! This was even after a flood and heavy rainfall. However, yesterday I flipped the breaker to the hot water heater and now all the water is once again muddy. We proceeded to drain and refill the hot water heater in hopes of the water clearing up, but now both hot and cold sides of faucets and bath tubs are putting out muddy to yellow colored cloudy water once again. The water has suspended sediment of a dark red color.

Could there be any chance its just the hot water heater? Its a Rheem "self-cleaning" which is just ploy and doesn't really work.

I did glance in the pump house yesterday and the part of the well that is sticking out of the ground is pretty rusty (I think its the top of the casing??).

Any and all help would be appreciated!!! We are at a loss at the moment.

kbardouski

Reaction score
Honestly it could be anything from the plumbing in the house to the plumbing in the ground. It could be as easy as running enough water out of your well through your pipeline until you get all of it out, or as costly as replacing all of the pipe if old galvanized pipe. What you need to do is attempt to isolate the problem. Work your way back to your well checking faucets/hose bibs to see if and where the discolored water starts. If you determine its coming out of your well, I would start with flushing your well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks