Well water cloudy after heavy rain

Users who are viewing this thread

Babsbag

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old well that is about 300' deep, pump is at ~270'. Well casing is PVC and is about 18" above ground. The water is normally clear with no taste or odor. This problem after heavy rains started fall of 2017, never a problem before that. We also had our pump replaced in the summer of 2017, not sure if there could be a correlation. Well casing was sealed with Bentonite clay about 5 years ago when it was discovered that the previous seal had gaps in it, but even then we never had cloudy water. Other than the seal failing what are other possible causes of a well that deep getting infiltrated with ground water?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Rain water is getting into the well somehow. If the well seal/bentonite is holding, then you could have a gopher hole or some other way rain water can get past the casing seal. Not good though. Rain water carries dog poo, fertilizer, pesticides, and everything else into your drinking water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am just speculating, not based on experience. Suppose as a test you put a fairly big plastic drop cloth or tarp around your casing. Use tape to elevate the plastic on the casing. The purpose would be to prevent waste from pooling at the casing. See if the cloudiness symptom goes away. If it does, the seal near the casing is not working. If not, the path around the seal would presumably be out from the casing a bit.

husky-drop-cloth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks