Well Water Clorination Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys just a couple of questions from the pros I was hoping to get answered. I have a rental property with a well which has a pressure tank, a katalox filter and then a softener... in that order. It works wonderfully the water is crystal clear and has almost no detectable iron. However there is a bit of odor and I thought about adding a chlorination system.. I'm pretty confident it is an iron bacteria odor. Anyway where in line should this chlorinator go.... after the softener or before the pressure tank or some other arrangement? All the ones I have been looking at turn on when the pump turns on which in my mind is great but woulld it need to go before the pressure tank? And if so wouldn't that chlorinated water ruin the katalox and softener filter? I guess what I'm saying is.... should I arrange it in the following order: pump, katalox, softener, chlorine injector and then pressure tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Odor is what-- H2S (hydrogen sulfide)?

You might try sanitizing your well and plumbing before getting more complex.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing writeup, but it is written for a well different than yours. Maybe you could adapt that to your well.

I don't think chlorine will damage the KL, and it would probably help the iron treating. But I am not a pro.

Matt A

Reaction score
Wow.....that is an impressive article and procedure. I have sanitized the well a few times using different techniques and it works for a little while but not long. I think I'm gonna go with the chlorinator it's cheap enough. I was just concerned about the order in which it should be placed in into the system. I have emailed the company and waiting for a reply.

Reach4

Reaction score
Chlorine will damage softener resin. Usually when injecting chlorine you remove that before the softener with a backwashing GAC filter.

If you are going to run chlorine thru your resin, minimize the residual chlorine. When you replace the resin, use 10% crosslinked resin. And even then chlorine*time damage the resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks