Well water cistern with cold temperatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Silverstate

Reaction score
I'm getting a new well drilled (~400'), we're in a cold area that has ~3 foot frost depths. I've already purchased a 2,500 gallon cistern but I'm concerned that I wasted my money a bit because (a) managing freezing temperatures with it will be difficult and (b) it's really a rainwater cistern so there are a lot of gaps that would need to be filled in the lid area.

I'm curious how others are tackling cisterns in cold weather areas.

I'm trying to use a cistern to pump the water a bit higher than the house and make use of gravity for a lot of my water pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'm getting a new well drilled (~400'), we're in a cold area that has ~3 foot frost depths. I've already purchased a 2,500 gallon cistern but I'm concerned that I wasted my money a bit because (a) managing freezing temperatures with it will be difficult and (b) it's really a rainwater cistern so there are a lot of gaps that would need to be filled in the lid area.

I'm curious how others are tackling cisterns in cold weather areas.

I'm trying to use a cistern to pump the water a bit higher than the house and make use of gravity for a lot of my water pressure.
You only get 1 PSI pressure for every 2.31' you elevate the tank. A tank that is 23' high only gives 10 PSI. Might be able to flush a toilet but not much else.

With a 400' well there should be considerable storage in the well. For every foot of standing water you get about 1.5 gallons of storage. You are already going to need a pump to get water out of the well and to the storage tank. That same pump can supply the water stored in the well to the house when needed. Put a pressure tank or even better the PK1A constant pressure kit in the house. With the PK1A you will get strong constant pressure to the house and showers, only need room to install a little 4.5 gallons size pressure tank, and nothing will be above grade to freeze.

I would only use a cistern if the well could not produce enough water. I would only use an elevated cistern if I had a 100' tall hill on the property and could bury the tank and everything to keep it from freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks