Well Water Chlorination Systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Desmandhue

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to get a chlorine system and was looking for suggestions. I would mainly be getting it for sulfur and iron and to help my water smell better. I had my water tested and there is no bacteria so that is a plus. my question is should I go with an in line pellet feeder or injection system, and any recommended stores I could buy the system from

Beets

Reaction score
The pros on this forum are going to ask for a full water analysis, and flow rates.

I am not a pro. I'm a home owner with experience dealing with H2S smell using chlorine and hydrogen peroxide. I probably shouldn't say anything as I don't know about iron and I know it can be really problematic. However, a chlorination system could be as simple as buying a stenner pump, a holding tank (for contact time), and a 10x54 back washing filtration media. You can order all of these from on-line suppliers and assemble a system much cheaper than your local pro, but your local pro has years of experience and will know what works for your area. You may be solving things by trial and error. It would be good to ask your neighbors what they have and take some pictures.

You mention no bacteria. If that is true, you should likely be asking about hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine. With hydrogen peroxide, you may not need the retention tank. Again, I don't know if this advise is good for iron.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
When we lived in Texas this would have been easy, cuz our system had a 1,000gal holding tank, and a shallow well pump drawing from *it*, so I could dump-in all manner of pellets or peroxide, and did at times.

Now we're up North like you with stinky well water. Have a water softener for the hardness, and a 20" big blue housing with 20" gac filter after it, which does help quite a bit, but it's less than ideal for the hassle and cost of filter changes.

I don't know how to inject chlorine or h2o2 into this pressurized system, downstream from the softener, so hope you find a satisfactory solution here.

Reach4

Reaction score
In using a peristaltic pump, such as those made by Stenner, there are two major types that I know of ... proportional and fixed-rate. The fixed rates are adjustable rate, but except for that, they are on and off. That type is appropriate for feeding into the path before the pressure tank. The flow in that area is fairly constant while the well pump is on. Disadvantage is that the pressure tank has to deal with any sediment produced. Advantage is that a cheaper pump can be used, and there is no flow sensor needed-- just detect the output of the pressure switch.

Proportional pumps can vary the rate proportionally to the water use after the pressure tank. The sediment is easier to collect into a contact/settling tank. It does need a sensor to control the flow rate according to flow.

I think H2O2 with H2S won't make much sediment, but other stuff in the water will. But I agree that H2O2 would be best for just H2S. I am not a pro, but the good news, I think, is that you can use the same hardware for either chlorine (bleach) or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide).

With either, you normally follow with a GAC tank to remove the residual.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Without a water test chlorine injection can not be set easily. You are your own municipality, it is cheap insurance to get the water properly tested. here is a link to one of the companies i prefer. Reasonable price, excellent and comprehensive test. You will need to test H2s on site since that is a gas and will not make it to the lab. NTLWATERTEST

I would avoid pellet chlronie, these are difficult and annoying in the best of conditions. Chlorine, H2o2 or o3 are all possibilities. What is your well design? Traditional hole in the ground, submersible pump at the bottom, feeding a 40/60 switch and a pressure tank, flow rate? Atmospheric tank? All of these variables will affect the water treatment system design.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Dunno about iron, but for smell this O3 system looks very promising. Something like $3,500 less installation cost:

1668532443520.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks