Well water analysis listed my problems. Need help designing the right filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Hello all,

Reaching out for some insight. Closing on a new home with a well. Had a water analysis completed which turned out the following results.

• *Arsenic- 0.011 MG/L
  • *Iron Dissolved- 6.05 MG/L
  • *Iron- 12.1 MG/L
  • *Manganese- 0.372 MG/L
  • *PH- 6.4
  • Calcium- 6.3 MG/L
  • Copper- ND
  • Lead- ND
  • Magnesium- 8 MG/L
  • Potassium- 1.4 MG/L
  • Sodium- 4.5 MG/L
  • Alkalinity- 53 MG/L
  • Ammonia- ND
  • Chloride- 1.9 MG/L
  • Chlorine- ND
  • Conductivity- 125 (UMHOS/CM)
  • Fluoride- 0.3 MG/L
  • Hardness- 49 MG/L
  • Nitrate- ND
  • Nitrite- ND
  • Odor 2 (TON)
  • Sediment- YES
  • Sulfate- 7.3 MG/L
  • Turbidity- 110 (NTU)
  • Radon- ND
  • Coliform Bacteria absent
I interpret the major concerns are the arsenic, iron, manganese and ph. I've been trying to research options and piece together a treatment system. Below is what i'm currently considering, all through a single online store... Listed in order of how the would be placed

• 1. Backwashing Pre-filter

• 2. Chlorinator Well water package J-Pro-22 + 15 Gal Solution tank-

• 3. Pro-OX 5900-BT Air Iron Filter 1.0CF- 948 w/ calcite blend option (for ph)- 12gpm flow rate, 7gpm backwash flow rate
  • 4. Arsenic Well Water Filter System 5900-BT 2.0 CF 1252- uses Titanium dioxide media 8.5gpm flow rate, 5.0gpm backwash rate

• 5. Carbon Filter 5900-Bt series- 2.0 CF 1252- uses catalytic carbon - 14gpm flow rate, 7gpm backwash flow rate

• 6. Water Softener 5900-BT 48K grain 10x54 w/ purolite sst-60 resin

Some background on the actual well/pump
Flow test was performed-
  • 6" Drilled Water Well
  • Submersible pump drawing 8.9 amps, capable of 12gpm.
  • Static well water level 2' below surface @ start of test
  • Pump tested at 12gpm for 45 minutes drew water level to 88'
  • Stabilized water level at 85' at 7.5gpm
  • Well produces 7.5 gpm
  • Pressure tank is Well-x-trol 203 year 2016 in good condition
  • There is an abandoned well located nearby the current well.
  • Last item of note is the property is located near the top of a "mountain side" and i've been informed that the area has been known to have well replenishment issues.

I'm open to replacing the well supply line/pump if necessary for optimal system setup.
Property is 2.5 bath.

1. Is the setup i listed correct for my needs or am i way off base for how it should be done?
  2. Am i looking at decent products or is there a different brand/source i should be looking at?- Will be self sourcing/plumber installed.
  3. Am i installing in proper order- Pre-filter (sediment) -> Chlorinator -> Iron Filter (air injection manganese dioxide bed w/calcite blend for ph) -> Arsenic (titanium dioxide bed) -> Carbon filter -> Water softener
  4. Looking to automate the system as much as possible for backwash and reliable operation.
  5. Will have a significant amount of landscape irrigation occuring, should i install an outlet for that somewhere between tanks in this setup rather than needing that water to run through the full filtration?

Thank you in advance to anyone that is willing to chime in on anything.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some backwashing iron filters take care of arsenic as a side effect.

I am thinking KL has this property. So I suspect your separate arsenic filter won't be needed.

My Centaur Carbon H2S+iron filter took my arsenic from 0.006 mg/L to below the 0.002 test sensitivity. I had not expected this, but looking at my before- and after-filter lab test gave me a pleasant surprise.

If you can use plastic plumbing, you might not need pH treatment.

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Some backwashing iron filters take care of arsenic as a side effect.

I am thinking KL has this property. So I suspect your separate arsenic filter won't be needed.

My Centaur Carbon H2S+iron filter took my arsenic from 0.006 mg/L to below the 0.002 test sensitivity. I had not expected this, but looking at my before- and after-filter lab test gave me a pleasant surprise.

If you can use plastic plumbing, you might not need pH treatment.

Thanks, may setup without additional arsenic filter and evaluate after a new lab test if still necessary. Looking through aquascience items now as well, seems to be a bit better pricing on items.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Watch out for the low price onnline companies, most of them are using a good part here and there but then using mostly the cheapest Chinese components in their effort to be a few bucks cheaper than the next guy. We have even found many companies using counterfeit Fleck valves... so sad.
NTLWATERTEST
This is a great well water testing company.

I would not recommend an Air Iron filter design with this level of iron...

You can likely coprecipitate some of the arsenic onto the ferric iron that will accumulate in the iron reduction system... lots going on here with your water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks