Well to house plastic pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
When they ran a new pipe from my well to the house, seems to me the guy told me it was a "newer" more advanced technology -- anyway, it's 1" (looks like it, haven't measured) black plastic and I believe it was on a roll, (trying to remember) so I guess somewhat flexible. Is this just a PVC pipe or is there something better than that? -- thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably SIDR polyethylene pipe. The ID is fixed for the different weights, and the OD varies with material thickness. Two worm gear clamps, with the worms on opposite sides, are usually used to connect to that pipe. The connectors are barbed ("insert" ).

https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?sf_categoryHierarchy=&search=sidr

This kind of pipe has been around for a long time, but some newer stuff is rated stronger for a given wall thickness.

If the OD is about 1 inch, that would be 3/4 pipe... which has an ID of 0.824. That is significantly bigger ID than 3/4 inch pex.

Last edited:

Mar3232

Reaction score
Yep -- I'm sure that's it. Thanks. In the basement where the pipe comes in there is a weird sort of brass connector that connects it to regular pvc pipe. What psi rating should I use? Going to run water from my house the garage underground.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep -- I'm sure that's it. Thanks. In the basement where the pipe comes in there is a weird sort of brass connector that connects it to regular pvc pipe. What psi rating should I use? Going to run water from my house the garage underground.
I would think they would have run 160 psi or more, but I am not saying that is required.

Are you asking how to connect what they did to something, or are you doing QC on what they did?

If you are running water to the garage, what you do might be affected by the distance. If burying below the frost line, I don't know what all to consider.

Are you running your pipe in a basement, or what? Is that pipe they transitioned to maybe CPVC (cream/tan color instead of bright white)?

Mar3232

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, just want to buy the right pipe for going to the garage from the house. -- thanks for filling me in

Mar3232

Reaction score
Thanks for that guide. There's nothing now -- this is for getting water to my detached garage. sidr only 43 bucks at menards -- like that -- they're right down the street. thanks again.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Because this stuff is on a roll, is it maybe a good idea to lay it in the sunshine for a while (unrolled?) -- or does it help? Does it straighten out easily as is?

nikono

Reaction score
I think some pipes are rated for potable water, some are not.
Potable: safe to drink; drinkable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks