well tank rots out after 9 years !

Users who are viewing this thread

Snap Cutter

Reaction score
a friend of the family told me that he came home the other day and found water pouring out of bottom of his well tank, fire department , serv pro, insurance company , plus family photos .I really felt bad. I could see if the well tank was older but nine years ? I don't have much of a background with well tanks the only information I have is , the well tank was blue, the well tank was put in 9 years ago, the tank bottom rotted out, the insurance company contacted manufacture of tank and they said it is not under warranty, they do have hi level of iron in water [ they do have filters after tank] . my question is do you know what the life span is for well tanks ? could hi levels of iron be the cause of tank all of the sudden letting go , and what can be done to prevent this from happening in the future. thank you for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am neither a pro nor experienced, but I have not heard of that. What was the make and model if you know?

If that was a diaphragm tank, expect it happened from the outside in, but I cannot be sure. Iron would not cause that. Low pH would be the more corrosive, but generally the steel is lined with a nice coating.

http://www.flexconind.com/products/well-tanks/flex2pro-lite-well-tanks/ has a fiberglass shell rather than a steel shell. There are also systems that can cut off power to the pump if the utility area floods. These could help this person sleep better maybe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well X Trols are the longest lasting diaphram type tanks on the market, we see them routinely last upwards of 25 years. Bladder style tanks don't have the same lifespan, especially if the tank has a steel shell. There are a few thin wall, tcontractor grade (think junk) tanks out there, that maybe what your friend had.

The best way to prevent a disaster like that is to spend your money on the best equipment along with the best installation.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Believe it or not the big box stores sold a hydropneumatic tank that was not galvanized. They were painted blue and looked just like a bladder tank. They make the water really rusty.

I'm betting that's what was installed. Stay away from big box stores junk.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Believe it or not the big box stores sold a hydropneumatic tank that was not galvanized. They were painted blue and looked just like a bladder tank. They make the water really rusty.

I'm betting that's what was installed. Stay away from big box stores junk.

Yep, but we see (replace) a lot of big box & Sears tanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I guess this could be one more reason to use the small tank and CSV type system. A 4.5 gallon tank is only like 75 bucks, and it is easy to just screw another one on if it starts looking rusty or something. They also make leak detectors that will close a valve or turn the pump off if it detects water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks