Well Tank Connction Leak Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Beem

Reaction score
Just installed our well's pressure water tank and seem to have a dripping leak where the fabricated brass tee (copper pipe with brass fitting) joins to the steel female elbow on the bottom of the tank.

Installed the fitting with about 3 wraps of 3/4" teflon tape. The brass fitting is just about all the way in with one thread showing.

I had made up and taken the joint apart a couple of time before final assembly due to varying advice on hor to treat the threads. Apparently the one I followed didn't work.

Since the brass fitting is almost all the way in, should I try to use it again with pipe dope, or tape and dope? Or buy a new tee?

Could the brass fitting have been distorted by multiple tightenings? It doesn't seem possible that the steel fitting would be affected by the brass.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Hube

Reaction score
Sometimes these fittings need approx 6 or 7 wraps of teflon tape to seal properly. Another fitting may also do the trick

Beem

Reaction score
7 wraps of teflon did the trick.
Funny how opinions vary....some said 2 wraps max; obviously the simple things need more specific attention.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks